Adobe turning away from Creative Suite, looking toward Creative Cloud
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Adobe's Creative Suite — featuring products like Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Premiere — is being abandoned in favor of the Creative Cloud, thenextweb.com reported Monday.
According to Adobe, Creative Suite 6 will still be available for purchase, but there will be no Creative Suite 7. Instead, the company is promoting Creative Cloud, which, using a monthly membership, gives individuals access to the entire collection of CS6 tools and more.
Creative Cloud also gives members automatic access to new products and updates, and uses cloud storage to give people the ability to sync to any device.
Thenextweb.com's Harrison Weber reported that individuals with a CS 3 or later serial number will get their first Creative Cloud year for $29.99 per month, while everyone else will pay $49.99 per month. Single app subscriptions will cost $19.99 per month. Team and student pricing and perks differ.
"Many have done the math, calculating how much less or more the Creative Suite costs them depending on what applications they use and how often they upgrade," Weber wrote. "If you were to upgrade yearly anyways and use more than one app, you'd spend approximately $300 per app or less — cheaper than buying the software outright."
Utah is home to the third largest Adobe site in the United States, and the company has had a presence in the state since October 2009. Its Utah home — a 280,000 square-foot building — is located in Lehi.
Adobe, which develops multimedia and creativity software products, was founded in 1982 by Charles Geschke and former University of Utah researcher John Warnock.
- 7 ways to help your loved one when they've...
- UTA extending service to BYU-USU football game
- Balancing act: Different kinds of guilt...
- Is preschool worth the money?
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning over...
- Consumer confidence continues to climb in Utah
- MountainStar to acquire Cache Valley Hospital
- Microsoft skips Windows 9 to emphasize advances
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 13
- 4 things you don't want your boss to know 6
- Is preschool worth the money? 6
- Colorado high court considers pot... 4
- Microsoft skips Windows 9 to emphasize... 4
- How to be a billionaire 4
- Commission to highlight women in Utah... 4
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought... 3