Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Adobe's Creative Suite — featuring products like Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Premiere — is being abandoned in favor of the Creative Cloud, thenextweb.com reported Monday.
According to Adobe, Creative Suite 6 will still be available for purchase, but there will be no Creative Suite 7. Instead, the company is promoting Creative Cloud, which, using a monthly membership, gives individuals access to the entire collection of CS6 tools and more.
Creative Cloud also gives members automatic access to new products and updates, and uses cloud storage to give people the ability to sync to any device.
Thenextweb.com's Harrison Weber reported that individuals with a CS 3 or later serial number will get their first Creative Cloud year for $29.99 per month, while everyone else will pay $49.99 per month. Single app subscriptions will cost $19.99 per month. Team and student pricing and perks differ.
"Many have done the math, calculating how much less or more the Creative Suite costs them depending on what applications they use and how often they upgrade," Weber wrote. "If you were to upgrade yearly anyways and use more than one app, you'd spend approximately $300 per app or less — cheaper than buying the software outright."
Utah is home to the third largest Adobe site in the United States, and the company has had a presence in the state since October 2009. Its Utah home — a 280,000 square-foot building — is located in Lehi.
Adobe, which develops multimedia and creativity software products, was founded in 1982 by Charles Geschke and former University of Utah researcher John Warnock.
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your time,...
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low
- Target data breach: Credit monitoring will...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Doug Robinson: Gail Miller — Carrying...
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see their...
- Balancing act: Telework Week poll dispels...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't waste your... 14
- Girls who play with Barbie may not see... 13
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- House backs bill to block EPA rule... 3
- Salt Lake Bees' stadium renamed Smith's... 3
- In populist appeal, Obama spotlights... 1
- China takes aim at pollution after... 1