LDS missionaries to report directly to new Provo MTC campus being prepared at apartment complexes
The Raintree/Wyview facilities are viewed as a temporary fix to the sudden capacity challenges stemming from last October's LDS general conference announcement lowering the minimum age requirements for full-time missionary service. Church officials have indicated recently that they are considering two options for the long-term expansion of the Provo MTC.
Meanwhile, the temporary facilities are needed to accommodate an MTC population that is expected to surge to more than 7,800 missionaries at any given time this summer — more than double the existing MTC's designed capacity. It is expected that the current surge will level off in 18 months or so, at which time the Raintree facility will return to its owners, Glenwood Intermountain Properties Inc., and Wyview will return to BYU.
While acknowledging the unavoidable inconvenience for students who have been displaced as a result of the temporary MTC solution, BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins doesn't see it as a huge problem for BYU students.
"We have three new buildings at Heritage Halls that will be completed by fall semester 2013," Jenkins said. "These three new residence halls can accommodate 680 students. We have another new building at Heritage Halls that will be completed by winter semester 2014 that will be able to accommodate 230 students."
And this is on top of an estimated 7,000 BYU-approved off-campus spaces that were unused during the last school year.
"We can assume students shouldn't have trouble finding housing," Jenkins said.
For her part, Shelly Freeman, a Raintree owner and manager, told the Deseret News earlier this month that while she is excited for the complex to be part of the MTC's temporary fix, she's also anxious about asking 918 residents to leave.
"We hope they come back," she said.
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- New collaboration helps track pioneer...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's influence...
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch indexing...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 34
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 19
- After government topples crosses in... 17
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 4
- Having trouble understanding the Bible?... 4