Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
I have long suspected that Salt Lake City Police Chief Chris Burbank was anti-gun and gun ownership. Last week he showed his true feelings and openly criticized Sen. Orrin Hatch and Sen. Mike Lee for voting against common-sense gun laws. The so-called common-sense gun laws that he referred to were pure feel-good nonsense. An assault rifle and large magazine ban was made law by President Clinton and was in effect for 10 years. Several studies have shown that the ban had no affect on crime reduction or crime prevention.
The background check bill was another misrepresented piece. The majority of gun purchases in the country are through federal licensed firearm dealers who have to do a background check for every gun purchase or they will lose their license. Individuals who falsify information on the background check form commit a felony but law enforcement never prosecutes these individuals. The majority of Americans say that we have enough gun laws and we only need to enforce them to take criminals off of the streets.
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The reality...
- My view: Eliminating the root cause of bullying
- Gov. Herbert: Executing fundamentals for a...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- In our opinion: In an entrepreneurial...
- Brad Stine: Words created everything, so we...
- Jay Evensen: Infatuated with his good looks,...
- Letter: Medicare Advantage costs
- Letter: Socialism, like salt 49
- Letter: Disagreement vs. hate 42
- George F. Will: Understanding our... 41
- There are no Frodos without Sams: The... 39
- In our opinion: An immigration opportunity 35
- My view: Immigration reform just makes... 33
- Robert J. Samuelson: Long-term... 26
- My view: Eliminating the root cause of... 26