PROVO — BYU softball completed a four-game sweep of Saint Mary's 7-6 and 4-1 to clinch the Pacific Coast Softball Conference Championship and earn it's ninth-straight postseason bid Saturday at Gail Miller Field.
The Cougars were led by Katie Manuma who went 5-for-5 with two RBI and Alexandra Hudson Shamo who went 3-for-5 with four RBIs.
UTAH: At Salt Lake City, senior shortstop Kelsi Hoopiiaina went 3-for-4 at the plate with four runs driven in, but the University of Utah softball team was edged by Washington, 11-8, on Saturday in the middle game of its Pac-12 Conference series at Utah Softball Stadium.
UVU: At Los Angeles, in a pair of one-run, pitching-dominated contests, Utah Valley University and Loyola Marymount played to a doubleheader split Saturday.
UTAH STATE: At Logan, in her final appearance in LaRee and LeGrand Johnson Field, senior pitcher Shelbi Tyteca worked six innings, allowing five hits, two runs and struck out three helped lead her squad to a 5-2 win over Texas State in Saturday's series finale.
SLCC: At Ephraim, the No. 6-ranked Bruins (44-9, 38-6 SWAC) picked up a pair of Scenic West Athletic Conference (SWAC) road victories over in-state opponent Snow College (23-25, 21-24 SWAC) to close out the regular season on Saturday. The Bruins won game one 6-4 after trailing 4-3 in the top of the 7th inning.. SLCC claimed a 4-2 decision in game two and swept the season series with the Badgers 8-0.
WEBER STATE: At Greeley, Colo., the Wildcats brought down the curtain on their season on a high note. Junior catcher Desiree Mejia hit her third home run of the season in the fifth inning, lifting the Weber State University softball team to a 2-1 victory over Northern Colorado at Butler-Hancock Field.
DIXIE STATE: At St. George, the Dixie State softball team used an 8-7 victory over Grand Canyon to eliminate the Antelopes from the chase for the 2013 Pacific West Conference Championship. In the second game, Dixie State staked its own claim for the 2013 PacWest title by blanking GCU 8-0 in six innings.
BYU: At Los Angeles, a four-game Cougar winning streak was snapped by Loyola Marymount's 2-1 victory Saturday over BYU.
UVU: At Greeley, Colo., after seeing a two-run lead vanish in the ninth, Utah Valley University answered with seven runs in the 10th to top Northern Colorado, 11-4, and earn a split of the day's doubleheader. In the night cap, Mark Krueger had a career-best four hits including two doubles. He doubled home the go-ahead runs in the 10th with a two-out hit to left, giving UVU (19-24, 10-5) a 6-4 lead.
UTAH: At Los Angeles, despite an eighth-inning rally, the Utah baseball team fell to UCLA, 5-4 on Saturday afternoon.
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Dick Harmon: Regardless of circusmtances,...
- BYU football report card: Cougars score A's &...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Makings of a high score: Looking back at...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 35
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 30
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 21
- Dick Harmon: Hard-hitting safety Craig... 19
- Dick Harmon: Utah tries to break out of... 18