Laura Seitz, Deseret News
In the Deseret News last week, I saw a beautiful sight. It was a photograph of pure joy — of a returning young soldier coming home from a year-long deployment from serving in Afghanistan ("Utah soldiers come home to new babies, happy wives," April 25). He was smiling happily while hugging his very happy wife and his little twin baby boys who were born while he was away.
I also got pure joy from seeing it. I couldn't quit thinking of this picture and what it meant. I need to express my deep thanks to these brave young men and women for doing their jobs for us, and for all of their sacrifices and the sacrifices of their families — all of it for the good of our great country.
This young man is representative of so many. He is not famous; he is from the small Utah town of Mona. He is a sergeant and just an ordinary everyday young man doing his job. But what a great job he and others like him are doing. Thank you all so very much.
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 48
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 43
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Charles Krauthammer: The real problem... 37
- Letter: Preventative care 29
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends... 27
- Letter: Elected representatives 23
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be... 19