SALT LAKE CITY — Sophomore right fielder Marissa Mendenhall drove the game-winning double off the left-field fence in the bottom of the seventh inning and the University of Utah softball team walked off with a 2-1 win over No. 12 Washington in the opening game of a Pac-12 Conference series Friday at Utah Softball Stadium.
Utah (24-27-1, 7-15 Pac-12) has now won five of its last six home games against Pac-12 foes and 6-4 in all league games at Utah Softball Stadium this season.
On the mound, sophomore Mariah Ramirez came on for 6 innings of shutout relief against the Huskies to pick up her 10th win of the year and now stands 10-11 on the season.
SLCC 6, 9; SNOW 3, 4: At Ephraim, Bruin sophomore pitcher MaCauley Flint picked up the win in game one with eight strikeouts and three hits allowed. Sophomore infielder Lynsdey Healey was 1-for-3 at the plate with a two-run home run.
WEBER STATE 6, 2; N. COLORADO 1, 5: At Greeley, Colo., riding the hot bats of freshman second baseman Brooke Ford and junior catcher Desiree Mejia, the Wildcats (4-13 Big Sky, 9-38 overall) won the opening game of the day.
AGGIES SWEPT BY TEXAS STATE: At Logan, the Aggies rallied from an 8-0 deficit to tie the game in the bottom of the sixth inning but could not hold the Texas State offense in the top of the seventh, falling 9-8 in the second game. USU dropped the series opener, 14-0.
BYU 3, LOYLA MARYMOUNT 2: At Los Angeles, California right-hander Jeff Barker won a pitcher's duel and threw a complete game he threw 125 pitches and struck out nine to improve his record to 4-3. Losing pitcher Aaron Griffin struck out nine Cougars in 7.2 innings. "I fell into a groove," Barker said. "I started using my 12 to 6 curve ball to lefties instead of a change up.
UCLA 5, UTAH 2: At Los Angeles, Braden Anderson hit a two-run home run as the Utah baseball team opened a three-game series with a loss. Anderson went 2-for-4 at the plate to lead the Utes. Utah starting pitcher Mitch Watrous pitched seven innings, allowing four runs (three earned) and seven hits, striking out three.
NORTHERN COLORADO 4, UTAH VALLEY 2: At Greeley, Colo., the Wolverines (18-23, 9-4) struck with a run on three hits in the top of the first, but a four-run fifth and the arm of N. Colorado starter Jake Johnson carried the Bears (20-20, 11-5) the rest of the way. Adam Gunn pitched seven innings for Utah Valley.
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 104
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 81
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 38
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 20
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 8
- Former BYU guard Cory Calvert to... 7