Chris Carlson, Associated Press
ANAHEIM, Calif. — Jason Vargas pitched a three-hitter for his first victory with his new club, Mark Trumbo and Mike Trout homered and the Los Angeles Angels beat the Baltimore Orioles 4-0 Friday night.
Vargas (1-3) threw 107 pitches, striking out three and walking two while getting 15 groundball outs. The shutout was the fourth by the left-hander in 136 career starts and his ninth complete game. He lowered his ERA to 1.63 against the Orioles in seven starts against them, his best against any team.
Vargas did not allow a hit until J.J. Hardy slapped an opposite-field single to right with two out in the fifth. The left-hander walked his next batter, Steve Pearce, on four pitches before Alexi Casilla grounded out.
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Utah Jazz pick up rare road win against Miami...
- BYU running back Adam Hine enjoying Miami...
- Jazz center Rudy Gobert gets pushy with...
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in University...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 45
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 41
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 26