RENO, Nev. — Federal land managers have begun a second environmental review of a 678-mile natural gas pipeline stretching from Wyoming to Oregon after a federal court said the first evaluation failed to make sure rare fish would be protected.
Officials for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management said they have started preparing another draft supplemental environmental impact statement for the Ruby Pipeline. It's the result of a U.S. appeals court in San Francisco ruling in October that the agency hadn't done enough to ensure protection of the Lahontan cutthroat trout and other rare fish in Wyoming, northern Utah, northern Nevada and southern Oregon.
The new draft SEIS will provide more detailed information about the cumulative loss of sagebrush vegetation and habitat across the Great Basin and high desert, BLM officials said Thursday.
Project manager Mark Mackiewicz, based in Price, said the public will have 45 days to comment once the new review is published.
The pipeline has been transporting natural gas from the Rocky Mountain area to the Pacific Northwest and Northern California since July 2011. It runs from Opal, Wyo., south of Logan, Utah, into Nevada north of Elko and Winnemucca before terminating in Opal, Ore., near the California line.
A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals determined the BLM and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service broke the law by failing to adequately examine the potential harm to fish as a result of pumping more than 300 million gallons of water from beneath the ground in Oregon and Nevada in connection with the pipeline.
- Why your co-workers come to work sick
- Local government board fostered 'culture of...
- BLM releases blueprint for oil and gas...
- 5 tips for a successful job interview
- Family whose 3-year-old daughter has cancer...
- Business says thanks by donating 10 bicycles...
- Millions being spent gambling at 2 bingo...
- Why workers aren't taking vacation time, and...
- Local government board fostered... 16
- Salt Lake's 'passive' house a model of... 6
- Provo airport expansion could provide... 5
- BLM releases blueprint for oil and gas... 4
- Millions being spent gambling at 2... 3
- Why your co-workers come to work sick 1
- 5 tips for a successful job interview 1
- Family whose 3-year-old daughter has... 1