RENO, Nev. — Federal land managers have begun a second environmental review of a 678-mile natural gas pipeline stretching from Wyoming to Oregon after a federal court said the first evaluation failed to make sure rare fish would be protected.
Officials for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management said they have started preparing another draft supplemental environmental impact statement for the Ruby Pipeline. It's the result of a U.S. appeals court in San Francisco ruling in October that the agency hadn't done enough to ensure protection of the Lahontan cutthroat trout and other rare fish in Wyoming, northern Utah, northern Nevada and southern Oregon.
The new draft SEIS will provide more detailed information about the cumulative loss of sagebrush vegetation and habitat across the Great Basin and high desert, BLM officials said Thursday.
Project manager Mark Mackiewicz, based in Price, said the public will have 45 days to comment once the new review is published.
The pipeline has been transporting natural gas from the Rocky Mountain area to the Pacific Northwest and Northern California since July 2011. It runs from Opal, Wyo., south of Logan, Utah, into Nevada north of Elko and Winnemucca before terminating in Opal, Ore., near the California line.
A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals determined the BLM and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service broke the law by failing to adequately examine the potential harm to fish as a result of pumping more than 300 million gallons of water from beneath the ground in Oregon and Nevada in connection with the pipeline.
- Financial interventions don't work
- University of Utah entrepreneurship program...
- Stericycle critics: Shut it down now
- FedEx to add 50,000 seasonal jobs
- Salt Lake City is now 'Ski City USA' in new...
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching dollars...
- Yellen says US families need to boost savings
- Cities to celebrate completion of S-Line...
- Financial interventions don't work 7
- Salt Lake City is now 'Ski City USA' in... 5
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 2
- GM expert says 19 deaths eligible for... 1
- US current account deficit dips to... 1
- FedEx to add 50,000 seasonal jobs 1