The 103rd running of the BYU Track and Field Invitational will go off this weekend, and for the first time in nearly two decades a familiar face will be missing on the track.
If there was a big track meet in Utah, Dale Robison was probably there, although you wouldn't know it. He was always behind the scenes. Robison, 77 later this month, retired from officiating track and cross country competitions following last fall's state high school cross country championships.
The kids come and go, but Robison was there year in and year out, a fixture on the track scene as a meet referee, head umpire or head of an event. He officiated more than 400 track meets, which ought to qualify him for a gold medal. This includes 30 state high school track and cross country championships, two U.S. Olympic Trials and countless NCAA and U.S. Championships.
"I just enjoyed being around track," says Robison, a former high school track athlete at Brigham Young High.
Robison, a second cousin of former BYU track coach Clarence Robison, began officiating meets in Los Angeles and it got in his blood. After retiring from American Airlines, he returned to Utah and continued to officiate track meets.
So what has he been doing in the short time since he retired? "Well," he says, "my grandson is starting up track in junior high, and I got asked to help, so I've been officiating their meets."
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 52
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 43