Brinn Willis, Courtesy of Southern Virginia University
As reported by the Deseret News, Mitt Romney, former presidential candidate, spoke at Southern Virginia University's commencement on April 27, 2013. Eleanor Barkhorn from the Atlantic focused on Romney's suggestion and encouragement to marry young. The Atlantic report states that Romney urged graduates to "launch out into the deep and let down your nets," just as Christ's disciples did. Romney used this Bible story of simple fishermen to help illustrate to the students the need "to be bold, selfless, unafraid of life's challenges." And according to Romney, one way to do so is by marrying young.
During the commencement Romney said the following about marriage:
"This is a promise: 'Launch out into the deep, and your nets will be filled.' How do you do that? Well, getting married is one way to launch into the deep. I'm so glad I found Ann when I was still so young. Combining your life with another person, particularly someone—men and women as different as we are, this combination is tremendously challenging and enormously rewarding."
Romney articulates the so-called "cornerstone" theory of marriage: that marriage is an institution worth building life on, not something to enter into once you're already established in life. This vision of marriage is countercultural at the moment, of course: As the National Marriage Project's "Knot Yet" report shows, people are getting married later and later, and more and more people are seeing marriage as a "capstone" to life's achievements rather than a foundation for those achievements (and inevitable disappointments).
- 3 Utah mothers to compete in U.S. Olympic...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: The romance of restraint
- Stress, chocolate and loneliness: How...
- Sherry Young: Can we go from snow sliding...
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved ones...
- Free marriage check-up clinic offered at...
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on Valentine's Day
- The Clean Cut: Video of mom-and-baby workout...
- If Splenda gives Swiss rats cancer,... 6
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved... 2
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell... 1
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on... 1
- Sherry Young: Can we go from snow... 1
- The heart of the matter: What your... 0
- Motherhood Matters: How to manage... 0
- The Clean Cut: New trailer for... 0