Brinn Willis, Courtesy of Southern Virginia University
As reported by the Deseret News, Mitt Romney, former presidential candidate, spoke at Southern Virginia University's commencement on April 27, 2013. Eleanor Barkhorn from the Atlantic focused on Romney's suggestion and encouragement to marry young. The Atlantic report states that Romney urged graduates to "launch out into the deep and let down your nets," just as Christ's disciples did. Romney used this Bible story of simple fishermen to help illustrate to the students the need "to be bold, selfless, unafraid of life's challenges." And according to Romney, one way to do so is by marrying young.
During the commencement Romney said the following about marriage:
"This is a promise: 'Launch out into the deep, and your nets will be filled.' How do you do that? Well, getting married is one way to launch into the deep. I'm so glad I found Ann when I was still so young. Combining your life with another person, particularly someone—men and women as different as we are, this combination is tremendously challenging and enormously rewarding."
Romney articulates the so-called "cornerstone" theory of marriage: that marriage is an institution worth building life on, not something to enter into once you're already established in life. This vision of marriage is countercultural at the moment, of course: As the National Marriage Project's "Knot Yet" report shows, people are getting married later and later, and more and more people are seeing marriage as a "capstone" to life's achievements rather than a foundation for those achievements (and inevitable disappointments).
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- What makes marriage hard? These 5 things...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: BYU students' video parody...
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- The Clean Cut: Video brings kindergarten...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 52
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 17
- 5 underrated Disney movies 13
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Baby boomers,... 6
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: We pay a price... 5
- What parents can do at home to prepare... 3
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3