Intelligencer Journal, Dan Marschka, Associated Press
HARRISBURG, Pa. — The mother of a woman who surfaced 11 years after disappearing and leaving behind her young children says her daughter is doing OK but "had a real traumatic time."
Jean Copenhaver, of Brenham, Texas, spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday about her 54-year-old daughter, Brenda Heist.
Copenhaver says she's spoken with Heist several times since Friday, when her daughter turned herself in to police in Florida and was identified as a missing person.
Copenhaver says Heist plans to live with her, but for now she's staying with a brother in northern Florida.
Heist told police she made a spur-of-the-moment decision in 2002 to join a group of homeless hitchhikers on their way to Florida, walking out on her 8-year-old daughter and a 12-year-old son.
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Trial opens for Detroit officer who killed...
- Scotland votes to remain part of United Kingdom
- 'Gotham' actor's Penguin inspired by DC Comics
- Chiefs' Reid dedicated to domestic abuse victims
- Home Depot breach affected 56M debit, credit...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a...
- Vote counting begins in Scotland on independence
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 27
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- President Obama: Ebola outbreak a... 15
- Chicago, NY, Hawaii on Obama library's... 12
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- US won't rule out working with Iran... 7
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 6