Intelligencer Journal, Dan Marschka, Associated Press
HARRISBURG, Pa. — The mother of a woman who surfaced 11 years after disappearing and leaving behind her young children says her daughter is doing OK but "had a real traumatic time."
Jean Copenhaver, of Brenham, Texas, spoke to The Associated Press on Thursday about her 54-year-old daughter, Brenda Heist.
Copenhaver says she's spoken with Heist several times since Friday, when her daughter turned herself in to police in Florida and was identified as a missing person.
Copenhaver says Heist plans to live with her, but for now she's staying with a brother in northern Florida.
Heist told police she made a spur-of-the-moment decision in 2002 to join a group of homeless hitchhikers on their way to Florida, walking out on her 8-year-old daughter and a 12-year-old son.
- 10 things to know about corporate inversions
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- It's about time the government recognize the...
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in Syria
- A New York Times article said Michael Brown...
- University of Phoenix founder dies, leaving...
- Freelancers and millennials help usher in the...
- Ukraine accuses Russia of sending in tanks,...
- A New York Times article said Michael... 43
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- 10 things to know about corporate... 30
- For the first time in American history,... 30
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 24
- Why the poverty cycle is harder to... 15
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 14
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14