There is no grief like the loss of a child, whether from natural causes, illness, accident or violence. The world is turned upside down. So when families from Sandy Hook took it upon themselves to travel to Washington, D.C., to meet with legislators in an effort to get some federal gun control legislation, there were many eloquent and deeply heartfelt moments.
One of the most poignant was the five-minute address by Francine Wheeler, whose 6-year-old son was killed in the Newtown tragedy. President Obama let her give his weekly address on April 13. Personal stories have always made political issues more real. Abstract issues become individually meaningful.
At least that is the way it seems for your average American. But clearly US senators are not your average American. Their callous vote on April 17 against a bill supporting background checks for gun owners is evidence of their heartless and cynical politics. Their egregious behavior is an outrage.
Salt Lake City
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 35
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 30
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 27
- My view: More whites should practice... 23
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 21
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 16
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice... 13