There is no grief like the loss of a child, whether from natural causes, illness, accident or violence. The world is turned upside down. So when families from Sandy Hook took it upon themselves to travel to Washington, D.C., to meet with legislators in an effort to get some federal gun control legislation, there were many eloquent and deeply heartfelt moments.
One of the most poignant was the five-minute address by Francine Wheeler, whose 6-year-old son was killed in the Newtown tragedy. President Obama let her give his weekly address on April 13. Personal stories have always made political issues more real. Abstract issues become individually meaningful.
At least that is the way it seems for your average American. But clearly US senators are not your average American. Their callous vote on April 17 against a bill supporting background checks for gun owners is evidence of their heartless and cynical politics. Their egregious behavior is an outrage.
Salt Lake City
- Dan Liljenquist: In order to confront... 41
- Kathleen Parker: Republican candidates... 38
- Letter: Medically fragile 30
- Letter: Harmful side effects 23
- Mark Reynolds: Pipeline alternatives... 23
- Allowing export of U.S. crude oil would... 22
- In our opinion: Hughes, House and... 22
- Require a civics test? Americans have a... 20