Chuck Wing, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A man was shot by police this morning in the lobby of the West Valley Police Department.
The man entered the lobby and said he wanted to talk to a police officer. The man had a gun, police confirmed, and the officer responding to the man called for help. The sequence of events remained under investigation, but Sgt. Jason Hauer of West Valley police confirmed that a veteran officer fired the shots.
The man, who police did not identify, suffered injuries and was taken to a local hospital. The severity of his injuries was not known.
Broken glass from fired shots littered the lobby of the police station. Both the lobby and the parking lot outside the police station are being treated as a crime scene as police collect evidence.
The Utah Transit Authority confirmed that TRAX trains, which run on tracks nearby, were shut down immediately after the shooting. The TRAX line has now reopened.
West Valley City Mayor Mike Winder told KSL's Doug Wright that the shooting was "very sobering."
"We have brave men and women in our police department that put their lives on the line every day," Winder said. "To have someone walk into a sanctuary, so to speak, into a public safety building and pull a gun, It's unconscionable."
Wright also asked Winder if this could be connected to the thrown out cases and corruption investigations ongoing in West Valley City. Winder said anything is possible, but that the city successfully prosecutes thousands of cases each year, any of which have the potential of making people upset at the city.
"All it takes is one person crazy enough to pull a gun inside a public safety building and we get an incident like this," he said.
Check back for more information.
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- A parent's worst nightmare: When a fever...
- Body cameras have played roles in 2...
- Family of slain 18-year-old pleads for...
- Salt Lake County lands on Top 10 list of...
- Litter left by target shooters in Hobble...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 89
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 51
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 44
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 41
- Granite School District reaches... 22
- New poll shows more support for Sen.... 20
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 16