SALT LAKE CITY — Arizona State scored four runs over the final three innings to defeat the Utah baseball team, 5-4 in 10 innings to open a three-game series against the Sun Devils.
Mitch Watrous was solid on the mound for Utah over 7 2/3 innings, striking out nine and allowing two runs on eight hits. Connor Eppard, who hit his first home run of the season, had two RBIs on the night.
(22) GONZAGA 5, BYU 1: At Spokane, Wash., BYU outfielder Jaycob Brugman belted a leadoff homer in the seventh inning.
UTAH VALLEY 8, CHICAGO STATE 3: At Orem, the Wolverines (15-21, 6-3) had four triples in scoring in each of their first four times at bat and building an 8-2 lead.
SLCC SPLITS WITH CSI: At Twin Falls, the Bruins lost a close game one 1-0 and won a 7-5 decision in the day's second contest. Freshman outfielder Connor Williams (South Jordan) was 2-for-4.
SUU SPLITS WITH UNC: At Cedar City, SUU (16-29, 9-5 BSC) was edged by Northern Colorado (14-28-1, 3-11) 7-6 the opening game, but erased an 11-4 deficit to come away with a 13-11 win in the nightcap.
AGGIES SWEPT: At Arlington, Texas, UT Arlington (20-24, 4-12) came away with back-to-back eighth inning walk-off wins by scores of 1-0 against Utah State.
STANFORD 8, UTAH 0: At Stanford, Calif., sophomore Mariah Ramirez went 2-for-2 at the plate.
BYU ADVANCES TO FINALS: At San Diego, the No. 2-seed BYU men's tennis team topped the No. 3-seed San Diego 4-3 and will play Pepperdine in the title match.
HAVLICK WINS AWARD: Utah's Miles Havlick was named Ski Racing Magazine's Nordic Collegiate Skier of the Year for the third consecutive season.
COUGAR CLASSIC: BYU's Zachary Blair was the leader after two rounds at 10-under, while teammate Joe Parkinson and Air Force's Kyle Westmoreland were tied for second at 135. Jake Holt and Tanner Higham lead the way for Southern Utah and Utah State with two rounds of even par 72 to sit in 13th place at 144. BYU shot 279-276 on Friday to hold a 12-shot lead over second place Air Force.
UVU GOLFER TAKES SECOND: At San Antonio, Texas, senior Jordyn Dougal recorded a final-round 79 at the Great West Conference Championships to finish in second place — the highest finish of her college career. She was also named the Great West Conference Golfer of the Year on Friday.
- MLS Cup live blog: Sporting KC wins 7-6 in...
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog: Minutemen's...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz continue slide with overtime...
- BYU basketball: Hot-shooting UMass fires its...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Utah State football: Aggie defense plays...
- Real Salt Lake: RSL's quest to win MLS Cup...
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 101
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 60
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 50
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie... 27
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 27