SALT LAKE CITY — Arizona State scored four runs over the final three innings to defeat the Utah baseball team, 5-4 in 10 innings to open a three-game series against the Sun Devils.
Mitch Watrous was solid on the mound for Utah over 7 2/3 innings, striking out nine and allowing two runs on eight hits. Connor Eppard, who hit his first home run of the season, had two RBIs on the night.
(22) GONZAGA 5, BYU 1: At Spokane, Wash., BYU outfielder Jaycob Brugman belted a leadoff homer in the seventh inning.
UTAH VALLEY 8, CHICAGO STATE 3: At Orem, the Wolverines (15-21, 6-3) had four triples in scoring in each of their first four times at bat and building an 8-2 lead.
SLCC SPLITS WITH CSI: At Twin Falls, the Bruins lost a close game one 1-0 and won a 7-5 decision in the day's second contest. Freshman outfielder Connor Williams (South Jordan) was 2-for-4.
SUU SPLITS WITH UNC: At Cedar City, SUU (16-29, 9-5 BSC) was edged by Northern Colorado (14-28-1, 3-11) 7-6 the opening game, but erased an 11-4 deficit to come away with a 13-11 win in the nightcap.
AGGIES SWEPT: At Arlington, Texas, UT Arlington (20-24, 4-12) came away with back-to-back eighth inning walk-off wins by scores of 1-0 against Utah State.
STANFORD 8, UTAH 0: At Stanford, Calif., sophomore Mariah Ramirez went 2-for-2 at the plate.
BYU ADVANCES TO FINALS: At San Diego, the No. 2-seed BYU men's tennis team topped the No. 3-seed San Diego 4-3 and will play Pepperdine in the title match.
HAVLICK WINS AWARD: Utah's Miles Havlick was named Ski Racing Magazine's Nordic Collegiate Skier of the Year for the third consecutive season.
COUGAR CLASSIC: BYU's Zachary Blair was the leader after two rounds at 10-under, while teammate Joe Parkinson and Air Force's Kyle Westmoreland were tied for second at 135. Jake Holt and Tanner Higham lead the way for Southern Utah and Utah State with two rounds of even par 72 to sit in 13th place at 144. BYU shot 279-276 on Friday to hold a 12-shot lead over second place Air Force.
UVU GOLFER TAKES SECOND: At San Antonio, Texas, senior Jordyn Dougal recorded a final-round 79 at the Great West Conference Championships to finish in second place — the highest finish of her college career. She was also named the Great West Conference Golfer of the Year on Friday.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- Video: Former USU running back Robert...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 116
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 50
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 47
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45