Tom Smart, Deseret News
LOGAN — For the third consecutive year Utah State has had a player drafted in the first three rounds of the NFL Draft. Cornerback Will Davis was selected near the end of the third round, 93rd overall, by the Miami Dolphins. The last time Aggies were selected in three consecutive drafts was nearly 30 years ago when at least one USU player was taken in every draft from 1979 to 1987.
Overall, Davis is the fifth Aggie to be drafted in the last three years joining linebacker Bobby Wagner, running backs Robert Turbin and Michael Smith in 2012 and cornerback Curtis Marsh in 2011.
Some thought Davis might slip to the third day of the draft, but Miami traded up to get Davis by giving up their fourth, fifth and sixth round selections to the Packers in order to move up 16 spots to take the Aggie corner.
Since the season ended in December, Davis has been training for the draft in Tempe, Ariz., and his hometown of Spokane, Wash., with first round pick Desmond Trufant, who was selected by the Atlanta Falcons. Miami was among the eight teams Davis interviewed with at the NFL Scouting Combine back in February where Davis impressed scouts with a 4.51 40-yard dash and 6.52 three-cone drill time. The later of which was the best among all defensive backs.
The Dolphins have spent the draft working to revamp their defense. The team took Oregon linebacker Dion Jordan with the third overall pick and Boise State cornerback Jamar Taylor in the second round. Last year the Dolphins finished 27th in passing yards allowed giving up nearly 250 per contest. Davis, along with Taylor, are likely to receive plenty of opportunities to start opening day for the Dolphins for a defense that was in need of an upgrade.
Davis intercepted five passes and broke up another 17 as a crucial part of a Utah State defense that finished seventh in the country giving up just 15.4 points per game.
Running back Kerwynn Williams, the other Utah State player likely to be drafted, has yet to hear his name come off the board. The final four rounds of the NFL draft take place this afternoon.
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 33
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26