Gallup: On any given day, Utahns lead in feeling enjoyment, stress
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Utahns reported feeling the most enjoyment on any given day in 2012, but that enjoyment was tempered with some of the highest reported stress in the country, Gallup said in its latest well-being report, released Tuesday.
According to Gallup, Utah ranked third in enjoyment, with 88.8 percent saying they felt enjoyment on any given day. Hawaii ranked first at 89.7 percent and Wyoming came in second at 88.8 percent. The top five also included North Dakota (87.9) and Idaho (87.3).
The five states experiencing the least enjoyment were Rhode Island, Kentucky, New Jersey, New York and West Virginia.
Despite reported feelings of enjoyment, though, Utah has ranked among the most stressed states for the past five years, with 44.6 percent of residents reporting they felt stress during any given day in 2012. West Virginia (47.1), Rhode Island (46.3) and Kentucky (44.8) ranked higher than Utah among the most stressed states, while Massachusetts (43.4) filled out the top five in fifth place.
Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, Iowa and Wyoming residents reported feeling the lowest stress levels in the country.
West Virginia, Kentucky and Utah have each ranked within the top five most stressed states for the past five years, with Utah claiming the top spot in 2009 and 2010.
"While the relationship between stress and enjoyment is not clear, states with the highest stress levels tend to report less daily enjoyment," the Gallup report said. "Further investigation into what drives stress, how it impacts people and ways to mitigate its effects are important, as 40 percent of American adults consistently report experiencing it a lot of the day 'yesterday.'"
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt status...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- Merged resorts relying on familiar feel to...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 296
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 140
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 105
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 76
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 67
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 37
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35