Gallup: On any given day, Utahns lead in feeling enjoyment, stress
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Utahns reported feeling the most enjoyment on any given day in 2012, but that enjoyment was tempered with some of the highest reported stress in the country, Gallup said in its latest well-being report, released Tuesday.
According to Gallup, Utah ranked third in enjoyment, with 88.8 percent saying they felt enjoyment on any given day. Hawaii ranked first at 89.7 percent and Wyoming came in second at 88.8 percent. The top five also included North Dakota (87.9) and Idaho (87.3).
The five states experiencing the least enjoyment were Rhode Island, Kentucky, New Jersey, New York and West Virginia.
Despite reported feelings of enjoyment, though, Utah has ranked among the most stressed states for the past five years, with 44.6 percent of residents reporting they felt stress during any given day in 2012. West Virginia (47.1), Rhode Island (46.3) and Kentucky (44.8) ranked higher than Utah among the most stressed states, while Massachusetts (43.4) filled out the top five in fifth place.
Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, Iowa and Wyoming residents reported feeling the lowest stress levels in the country.
West Virginia, Kentucky and Utah have each ranked within the top five most stressed states for the past five years, with Utah claiming the top spot in 2009 and 2010.
"While the relationship between stress and enjoyment is not clear, states with the highest stress levels tend to report less daily enjoyment," the Gallup report said. "Further investigation into what drives stress, how it impacts people and ways to mitigate its effects are important, as 40 percent of American adults consistently report experiencing it a lot of the day 'yesterday.'"
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Romney decision not to run again disappoints...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- State School Board explores budget cuts as...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 204
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 150
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- Romney decision not to run again... 38
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 21