Brigham Young University graduates told to 'seek and find a balance'
"One of the most important lessons you will ever learn is the security and peace that comes from living within your means. … If you are spending more than you take in, heartache and sorrow are sure to follow unless and until you learn how to live more providentially," he said.
"We teach spiritual strength in our children by offering father's blessings, kneeling in daily family prayer, regularly attending the temple, regularly participating in Church meetings and daily scripture study," he said.
A Christ-centered home will always be a safe haven for children, he said. "We need to teach faith in the Savior in all that we do," he said. "That is the message for our children. That is the message that we have fort he entire world. … Make the gospel of Jesus Christ a vital active part of your life."
That teaching of children does not end at graduation, he said. Because of that, it is important for parents to communicate with their children.
"To both parents and graduates, I encourage you to stay on top of technology so that you can keep up with one another and understand one another throughout your lives. No one should go into technological retirement when their last child leaves the nest — that is when you should be alert and more mentally active — learning new things and preparing yourself for future opportunities to have input in the lives of your posterity."
In addition to the graduates, 12 cadets from the United States Army ROTC were commissioned as officers prior to commencement exercises on Thursday, and nine cadets from the United States Air Force ROTC Program were to be commissioned as officers this morning.
Other speakers at commencement exercises included Michael O'Connor, president of the Brigham Young University Alumni Association, and Conrad Rosenbrock, a graduate.
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15