Every time I see a comment that refers to teachers teaching to the test, I just don't get it. What would you have us teach to? Let's say you are going hunting for deer. Would you practice shooting before you go? I hope so. Well, you practice shooting at the target. Teaching to the test is helping students aim at the right target.
We don't teach the exact answers to the test questions. We can't even see the exact questions that will be on the test. Teaching to the test is teaching to a target. We teach how to take the test and use sample questions to help our students aim in the right direction. I certainly hope this helps those who think teaching to the test is a bad thing to gain some understanding of what that really means.
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in the...
- George F. Will: Squandered potential:...
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance...
- In our opinion: On matters of panhandling or...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Will Putin's gamble...
- Letter: Putin's invasion
- My view: The 'resource curse' and rush for...
- Mike Lee: It will be our ideas that win in 2014
- It doesn't have to be hard for... 60
- In our opinion: Obama's immigration... 52
- Letter: End daylight saving time 46
- Obama shows his funny side while... 40
- Libertarian wave wins big at CPAC 34
- Letter: Invite the divine 34
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance... 33
- My view: SB54 will politically and... 30