Every time I see a comment that refers to teachers teaching to the test, I just don't get it. What would you have us teach to? Let's say you are going hunting for deer. Would you practice shooting before you go? I hope so. Well, you practice shooting at the target. Teaching to the test is helping students aim at the right target.
We don't teach the exact answers to the test questions. We can't even see the exact questions that will be on the test. Teaching to the test is teaching to a target. We teach how to take the test and use sample questions to help our students aim in the right direction. I certainly hope this helps those who think teaching to the test is a bad thing to gain some understanding of what that really means.
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on...
- Drew Clark: Can the Supreme Court find...
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified rhetoric
- Letter: We can do better
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: We can't help...
- In our opinion: Navajo Nation looks to combat...
- John Florez: Teach our children the love of...
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling amid...
- Richard Davis: A historic moment for... 60
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling... 59
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified... 36
- A. Scott Anderson: Overregulation hurts... 26
- Letter: We can do better 26
- Letter: Pledge for respect 24
- In our opinion: Recent drowning of 800... 22
- In our opinion: Marriage definition on... 20