Every time I see a comment that refers to teachers teaching to the test, I just don't get it. What would you have us teach to? Let's say you are going hunting for deer. Would you practice shooting before you go? I hope so. Well, you practice shooting at the target. Teaching to the test is helping students aim at the right target.
We don't teach the exact answers to the test questions. We can't even see the exact questions that will be on the test. Teaching to the test is teaching to a target. We teach how to take the test and use sample questions to help our students aim in the right direction. I certainly hope this helps those who think teaching to the test is a bad thing to gain some understanding of what that really means.
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- Government works best when it's not on autopilot
- H. David Burton: Calling on local leaders to...
- Drew Clark: Why Utah's thriving technology...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Iowa caucus...
- Is it time for our first woman president? 50
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13
- John Florez: Businesses should help pay... 10
- Radon, the unrecognized killer 10
- In our opinion: Legislators need to... 9