Every time I see a comment that refers to teachers teaching to the test, I just don't get it. What would you have us teach to? Let's say you are going hunting for deer. Would you practice shooting before you go? I hope so. Well, you practice shooting at the target. Teaching to the test is helping students aim at the right target.
We don't teach the exact answers to the test questions. We can't even see the exact questions that will be on the test. Teaching to the test is teaching to a target. We teach how to take the test and use sample questions to help our students aim in the right direction. I certainly hope this helps those who think teaching to the test is a bad thing to gain some understanding of what that really means.
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- John Florez: Audit reveals politicians'...
- Charles Krauthammer: The nation expects...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- In our opinion: 'Lost Boy of Sudan' shows how...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- Letter: More informed decisions
- A. Scott Anderson: Give students skills that...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 77
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges... 37
- My view: The best legislation meets all... 30
- Letter: Legal weapons on campus 30
- Letter: Give her time 26
- In our opinion: Overcome 'election... 24
- In our opinion: Charitable awareness... 23