Every time I see a comment that refers to teachers teaching to the test, I just don't get it. What would you have us teach to? Let's say you are going hunting for deer. Would you practice shooting before you go? I hope so. Well, you practice shooting at the target. Teaching to the test is helping students aim at the right target.
We don't teach the exact answers to the test questions. We can't even see the exact questions that will be on the test. Teaching to the test is teaching to a target. We teach how to take the test and use sample questions to help our students aim in the right direction. I certainly hope this helps those who think teaching to the test is a bad thing to gain some understanding of what that really means.
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum wage
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before...
- The most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- John Hoffmire: Fighting increasing health...
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it
- Michael Gerson: The gospel according to JC...
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 62
- Letter: Doctors unite 40
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 37
- Letter: Elected representatives 36
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 33
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 27
- Letter: No limits 20
- Michael E. Kraft: Yes, Congress should... 20