Every time I see a comment that refers to teachers teaching to the test, I just don't get it. What would you have us teach to? Let's say you are going hunting for deer. Would you practice shooting before you go? I hope so. Well, you practice shooting at the target. Teaching to the test is helping students aim at the right target.
We don't teach the exact answers to the test questions. We can't even see the exact questions that will be on the test. Teaching to the test is teaching to a target. We teach how to take the test and use sample questions to help our students aim in the right direction. I certainly hope this helps those who think teaching to the test is a bad thing to gain some understanding of what that really means.
- Jay Evensen: Ask people in the Third World if...
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe?
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography...
- In our opinion: Alleged medicinal benefits of...
- Jonathan Johnson: The truth about sales tax...
- Dan Liljenquist: Increasing police officer pay
- In our opinion: Critics of porn resolution...
- My view: Does going to pot send the wrong...
- In our opinion: National security and... 78
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 56
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- My view: Scouting: Friend or foe? 37
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps... 33
- Jay Evensen: Legislature's pornography... 31
- Letter: Coal and job creation 23
- My view: Where is our Medicaid expansion? 20