When Social Security was started by FDR in the 1930s, the assigned number was never to be used as an ID. It was to be voluntary, not mandatory. We were to be taxed 1 percent of the first $1,400 annually, not 7.65 percent to $90,000. It was to be deductible at tax time, not taxed. The money collected was to be used in a trust fund to build the fund, not spent in the general fund. Don't you love the federal government?
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Michael Gerson: A Senate takeover — No...
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell
- In our opinion: Technology in today's schools...
- My view: Congress must tackle tough issues
- Center that specializes in stories about...
- Letter: Vote for cleaner air
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the campaign...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 148
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the... 87
- In our opinion: New conservative war on... 53
- In our opinion: Where has the family... 50
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 28
- In our opinion: School reformers should... 25
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 25