When Social Security was started by FDR in the 1930s, the assigned number was never to be used as an ID. It was to be voluntary, not mandatory. We were to be taxed 1 percent of the first $1,400 annually, not 7.65 percent to $90,000. It was to be deductible at tax time, not taxed. The money collected was to be used in a trust fund to build the fund, not spent in the general fund. Don't you love the federal government?
- Natalie Gochnour: Contrasting religious practice
- Letter: Romancing the gun
- John Florez: School board members must speak up
- In our opinion: Remembering German Unity Day
- Michael Erickson: Stop America's later-term...
- Letter: Fall of America
- Letter: Congress surrendered
- George F. Will: Finding our place in the...