When Social Security was started by FDR in the 1930s, the assigned number was never to be used as an ID. It was to be voluntary, not mandatory. We were to be taxed 1 percent of the first $1,400 annually, not 7.65 percent to $90,000. It was to be deductible at tax time, not taxed. The money collected was to be used in a trust fund to build the fund, not spent in the general fund. Don't you love the federal government?
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- David Blankenhorn: Berlin boasts a wise use...
- Letter: Police not the problem
- Charles Krauthammer: Battle must be fought...
- In our opinion: Utah sees improvement in...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 57
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 38
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 34
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 33
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30