When Social Security was started by FDR in the 1930s, the assigned number was never to be used as an ID. It was to be voluntary, not mandatory. We were to be taxed 1 percent of the first $1,400 annually, not 7.65 percent to $90,000. It was to be deductible at tax time, not taxed. The money collected was to be used in a trust fund to build the fund, not spent in the general fund. Don't you love the federal government?
- In our opinion: National security and the...
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms of...
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment delusion
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- My view: They run toward danger
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Barack Obama: Religious freedom keeps us strong
- Medicare Advantage
- In our opinion: National security and... 66
- Is it time for our first woman president? 55
- Robert J. Samuelson: The false charms... 43
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 17
- Ralph Hancock: The anti-establishment... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13