When Social Security was started by FDR in the 1930s, the assigned number was never to be used as an ID. It was to be voluntary, not mandatory. We were to be taxed 1 percent of the first $1,400 annually, not 7.65 percent to $90,000. It was to be deductible at tax time, not taxed. The money collected was to be used in a trust fund to build the fund, not spent in the general fund. Don't you love the federal government?
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout year...
- My view: The supergentrification of Sugar House
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The 'bathroom...
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges Hatch...
- Charles Krauthammer: Donald, Hillary and the...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 81
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 57
- Richard Davis: Who needs to go to the... 35
- My view: Mitt Romney's Harry Potter... 29
- In our opinion: Those intolerable TSA... 22
- Jay Evensen: Like it or not, politics... 22
- In our opinion: A social media enabled... 21
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19