SALT LAKE CITY — With a runner on second in the bottom of the eighth, freshman catcher Shelby Pacheco laced a walk-off double to left-center field to give the University of Utah softball team a 5-4 win over No. 2 Arizona State on Friday at Utah Softball Stadium.
In the bottom of the eighth, sophomore Shelbi Everett reached on a fielder's choice with one out. ASU was able to get a strikeout for the second out of the frame, but Everett was able to advance to second base after a passed ball. Pacheco then struck her fifth double of the season over the heads of the drawn-in Sun Devil outfielders to give Utah the victory.
On the mound for the Utes, freshman Kayce Nieto threw 5 solid innings.
COUGARS SWEEP BRONCOS: At Santa Clara, Calif., pitchers Hannah Howell and Tori Almond held Santa Clara to just three hits on the day to spur BYU to a 3-0 victory in both games of a doubleheader.
THUNDERBIRDS SWEEP WILDCATS: At Ogden, Southern Utah recorded its highest scoring total of the season to claim a 12-2 victory in the first game of Friday's doubleheader at Weber State, then came back to down the Wildcats for a second time by a score of 6-2.
AGGIES SPLIT WITH TECH: At Logan, USU found its offensive groove against Louisiana Tech, as it was able to record a season-best 15 hits that resulted in an 8-4 win. In the opening game of the day, Tech used three home runs to best the Aggies, 6-1.
UTAH 10, USC 0: At Salt Lake City, behind a solid pitching effort from Mitch Watrous and a solid offensive performance, the Utes claimed their first shutout of the season. Watrous pitched eight innings, striking out five and allowing five hits and three walks.
BYU MEN AND WOMEN FALLS: The BYU women's and men's tennis teams fell to Pepperdine 4-1 and 6-1 on Friday.
- Former Cardinals exec sentenced to 4 years in...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 122
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 67
- Morning links: National college... 67
- Report: Houston AD meets with Pac-12... 60
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37