SALT LAKE CITY — With a runner on second in the bottom of the eighth, freshman catcher Shelby Pacheco laced a walk-off double to left-center field to give the University of Utah softball team a 5-4 win over No. 2 Arizona State on Friday at Utah Softball Stadium.
In the bottom of the eighth, sophomore Shelbi Everett reached on a fielder's choice with one out. ASU was able to get a strikeout for the second out of the frame, but Everett was able to advance to second base after a passed ball. Pacheco then struck her fifth double of the season over the heads of the drawn-in Sun Devil outfielders to give Utah the victory.
On the mound for the Utes, freshman Kayce Nieto threw 5 solid innings.
COUGARS SWEEP BRONCOS: At Santa Clara, Calif., pitchers Hannah Howell and Tori Almond held Santa Clara to just three hits on the day to spur BYU to a 3-0 victory in both games of a doubleheader.
THUNDERBIRDS SWEEP WILDCATS: At Ogden, Southern Utah recorded its highest scoring total of the season to claim a 12-2 victory in the first game of Friday's doubleheader at Weber State, then came back to down the Wildcats for a second time by a score of 6-2.
AGGIES SPLIT WITH TECH: At Logan, USU found its offensive groove against Louisiana Tech, as it was able to record a season-best 15 hits that resulted in an 8-4 win. In the opening game of the day, Tech used three home runs to best the Aggies, 6-1.
UTAH 10, USC 0: At Salt Lake City, behind a solid pitching effort from Mitch Watrous and a solid offensive performance, the Utes claimed their first shutout of the season. Watrous pitched eight innings, striking out five and allowing five hits and three walks.
BYU MEN AND WOMEN FALLS: The BYU women's and men's tennis teams fell to Pepperdine 4-1 and 6-1 on Friday.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 60
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 25
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14