The faces and stories of the 2 brothers suspected in the Boston Marathon bombing
The two brothers suspected in the Boston Marathon bombing came to the United States from the Russian region near Chechnya, the men's uncle said, and the elder brother was a boxer while the younger brother was a student at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was registered as a student at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, the school said.
Their father, Anzor Tsarnaev, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press from the Russian city of Makhachkala that his younger son, Dzhokhar, is "a true angel."
He said his son was studying medicine. "He is such an intelligent boy. We expected him to come on holidays here," the father said.
The city of Cambridge announced two years ago that it had awarded a $2,500 scholarship to Dzhokar Tsarnaev, who was listed as a senior at Cambridge Rindge & Latin School, a highly regarded public school whose alumni include Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and NBA star Patrick Ewing.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the 26-year-old suspect shot and killed during the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing, was the subject of a 2009 photo essay titled, "Will Box for Passport," which focused on his training for the National Golden Gloves competition in Salt Lake City.
The photo essay shows Tsarnaev training and includes quotes regarding his lifestyle, religion, move to the United States from Chechnya and his girlfriend.
"I don't have a single American friend," Tsarnaev said in one caption. "I don't understand them."
Tsarnaev represented New England in the heavyweight category at the National Golden Gloves competiton. The tournament was held at the Salt Palace in May 2009.
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal...
- Investigators may have recovered up to 30,000...
- Winners and losers under Obama's immigration...
- Redistribution of homes begins in Utah FLDS town
- Ice snarls Michigan roadways, airport runways
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring, Elder L....
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 62
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Obama to announce immigration action... 30
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 27
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 17
- President Obama's immigration speech... 14
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14