The faces and stories of the 2 brothers suspected in the Boston Marathon bombing
The two brothers suspected in the Boston Marathon bombing came to the United States from the Russian region near Chechnya, the men's uncle said, and the elder brother was a boxer while the younger brother was a student at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was registered as a student at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, the school said.
Their father, Anzor Tsarnaev, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press from the Russian city of Makhachkala that his younger son, Dzhokhar, is "a true angel."
He said his son was studying medicine. "He is such an intelligent boy. We expected him to come on holidays here," the father said.
The city of Cambridge announced two years ago that it had awarded a $2,500 scholarship to Dzhokar Tsarnaev, who was listed as a senior at Cambridge Rindge & Latin School, a highly regarded public school whose alumni include Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and NBA star Patrick Ewing.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the 26-year-old suspect shot and killed during the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing, was the subject of a 2009 photo essay titled, "Will Box for Passport," which focused on his training for the National Golden Gloves competition in Salt Lake City.
The photo essay shows Tsarnaev training and includes quotes regarding his lifestyle, religion, move to the United States from Chechnya and his girlfriend.
"I don't have a single American friend," Tsarnaev said in one caption. "I don't understand them."
Tsarnaev represented New England in the heavyweight category at the National Golden Gloves competiton. The tournament was held at the Salt Palace in May 2009.
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Officer charged with murder in teen's death;...
- Group raised suspicions before 5 were shot at...
- First trailer for 'Captain America: Civil...
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says violated its...
- The integration of art into STEM sounds like...
- Is the pressure to excel too much for teens...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 77
- Trump says he saw people celebrating... 38
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 26
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Obama pledges solidarity with France,... 18
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 18
- Turkey downs Russian jet it says... 15