The faces and stories of the 2 brothers suspected in the Boston Marathon bombing
The two brothers suspected in the Boston Marathon bombing came to the United States from the Russian region near Chechnya, the men's uncle said, and the elder brother was a boxer while the younger brother was a student at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was registered as a student at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, the school said.
Their father, Anzor Tsarnaev, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press from the Russian city of Makhachkala that his younger son, Dzhokhar, is "a true angel."
He said his son was studying medicine. "He is such an intelligent boy. We expected him to come on holidays here," the father said.
The city of Cambridge announced two years ago that it had awarded a $2,500 scholarship to Dzhokar Tsarnaev, who was listed as a senior at Cambridge Rindge & Latin School, a highly regarded public school whose alumni include Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and NBA star Patrick Ewing.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the 26-year-old suspect shot and killed during the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing, was the subject of a 2009 photo essay titled, "Will Box for Passport," which focused on his training for the National Golden Gloves competition in Salt Lake City.
The photo essay shows Tsarnaev training and includes quotes regarding his lifestyle, religion, move to the United States from Chechnya and his girlfriend.
"I don't have a single American friend," Tsarnaev said in one caption. "I don't understand them."
Tsarnaev represented New England in the heavyweight category at the National Golden Gloves competiton. The tournament was held at the Salt Palace in May 2009.
- CNN hires fired Trump campaign manager...
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Clinton failed to hand over key email to...
- The newscasters who have made the most cameos...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Rescuers search rubble in east China after...
- Britain will leave the 28-nation European...
- 'No' to Obama's immigration plans, Supreme...
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 39
- Big ruling for abortion rights in... 36
- House Republicans' report faults Obama... 36
- The pro-life plan that could reverse... 36
- Did Trump really just become a... 36
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Trump, in Scotland, links Brexit vote... 26