On the surface, Common Core sounds like a good idea to me, but dig a little deeper and concerns start cropping up. First, how much is this going to cost us? How will plopping our kids onto a "one-size-fits-all" conveyor belt be of any benefit? Children, just like adults, learn at different paces. If teachers are forced to teach the same thing at the same time what will happen to those children that just can't keep the pace? Also, aren't our teachers forced to "teach to the test" enough as it is? Why tie their hands even more? I think that the control over what is taught in Utah's schools should belong to Utah.
- Natalie Gochnour: Contrasting religious practice
- Letter: Romancing the gun
- Michael Erickson: Stop America's later-term...
- George F. Will: Finding our place in the...
- Letter: Fall of America
- Letter: Congress surrendered
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's new version of...
- In our opinion: Remembering German Unity Day