Susan Walsh, File, Associated Press
The following editorial appeared recently in the Kansas City Star:
The U.S. Senate's handling of a gun safety package was cowardly and contemptible.
With a series of procedural votes, most Republican senators and a handful of Democrats opted Wednesday afternoon to not even debate modest gun safety measures. They included a bipartisan bill to close the loophole that allows people to purchase weapons at gun shows without a background check. Proposals to limit the size of gun magazines and to ban some of the most deadly assault weapons were also struck down without debate.
"All in all, this was a pretty shameful day in Washington," President Barack Obama said in a news conference.
A very shameful day. What kind of a governing body responds to a national crisis by refusing to even discuss it openly and publicly?
On the background check measure, 54 senators voted to advance the bill, 46 voted against.
"The gun lobby and its allies willfully lied about the bill," said Obama, standing beside former congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and in the presence of families of gun victims.
That is true. The background check bill was not an infringement on anyone's Second Amendment rights. It was a compromise attempt to do something to keep deadly weapons out of the hands of dangerous people.
"This effort is not over," Obama said.
It is not. The first step must be reminding obstructionist senators at every chance that almost nine of 10 Americans support universal background checks. Hold these politicians accountable for failing that majority, including families who have already paid the highest price for America's gun problem.
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense Secretary Leon...
- John Hoffmire: What's the next step in the...
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the campaign...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Our frank...
- In our opinion: Where has the family values...
- In our opinion: School reformers should study...
- Letter: Uninformed candidate
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 119
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the... 86
- In our opinion: New conservative war on... 53
- In our opinion: Where has the family... 49
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 30
- Dan Liljenquist: Ebola virus has... 29
- Charles Krauthammer: We need to... 27
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 25