American Airlines resumes most flights
Problems linger, but 'operations returned to normal,' it claims
DALLAS — American Airlines resumed most flights Wednesday, a day after a massive technology failure forced the nation's third-largest carrier to ground all planes from coast to coast.
Some lingering problems remained. At midday, American and regional offshoot American Eagle had canceled more than 200 flights, according to flight-tracking service FlightAware.com. But that was a huge improvement over Tuesday, when American and Eagle canceled nearly 1,000 flights and delayed another 1,100.
"Our operations returned to normal this morning," American Airlines spokeswoman Andrea Huguely said.
Some of Wednesday's cancellations were because of bad weather in Chicago and a lack of crews and planes in the right places. The airline added five unscheduled flights to accommodate passengers stranded in Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles, Huguely said.
The company blamed the breakdown on a "software issue" that knocked out both primary and backup computer reservation systems, which are also used for everything from issuing boarding passes to determining how much fuel to pump into planes.
The failure affected nearly two-thirds of scheduled flights aboard American and American Eagle. And it was a public-relations nightmare for American, which is preparing to merge with US Airways to become the world's biggest carrier.
Passengers took to social media sites to criticize the airline, which for hours could only apologize and say that it was trying to fix the problem.
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- Obamacare may not be as expensive as we thought
- Michaels stores confirm breach of as many as...
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem could mean...
- Ride-sharing business launches despite...
- Balancing act: French ban on after-hours...
- Utah jobless rate up slightly at 4.1 percent
- How much did President Obama donate to... 46
- Obamacare may not be as expensive as we... 27
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- Budget office: Raising federal minimum... 12
- Balancing act: French ban on... 10
- March another record-setting month for... 5
- Striking a balance: Moab's future... 4
- U.S. 'tax freedom day' is 3 days later... 4