American Airlines resumes most flights
Problems linger, but 'operations returned to normal,' it claims
DALLAS — American Airlines resumed most flights Wednesday, a day after a massive technology failure forced the nation's third-largest carrier to ground all planes from coast to coast.
Some lingering problems remained. At midday, American and regional offshoot American Eagle had canceled more than 200 flights, according to flight-tracking service FlightAware.com. But that was a huge improvement over Tuesday, when American and Eagle canceled nearly 1,000 flights and delayed another 1,100.
"Our operations returned to normal this morning," American Airlines spokeswoman Andrea Huguely said.
Some of Wednesday's cancellations were because of bad weather in Chicago and a lack of crews and planes in the right places. The airline added five unscheduled flights to accommodate passengers stranded in Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles, Huguely said.
The company blamed the breakdown on a "software issue" that knocked out both primary and backup computer reservation systems, which are also used for everything from issuing boarding passes to determining how much fuel to pump into planes.
The failure affected nearly two-thirds of scheduled flights aboard American and American Eagle. And it was a public-relations nightmare for American, which is preparing to merge with US Airways to become the world's biggest carrier.
Passengers took to social media sites to criticize the airline, which for hours could only apologize and say that it was trying to fix the problem.
- Women innovators leading by example
- More Americans spending at least half their...
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a large...
- Retiring overseas is more than a matter of money
- Money doesn't necessarily equate to job...
- 19 Mother's Day gift ideas for moms with...
- Michelle Singletary: Stop picking on the poor
- Proposed trade legislation could boost Utah...
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- More Americans spending at least half... 13
- Proposed trade legislation could boost... 5
- Many Salt Lake residents still balk at... 4
- US factory activity improves in April,... 3
- Women innovators leading by example 3
- We finally understand what robots mean... 2
- Money doesn't necessarily equate to job... 2