American Airlines resumes most flights
Problems linger, but 'operations returned to normal,' it claims
DALLAS — American Airlines resumed most flights Wednesday, a day after a massive technology failure forced the nation's third-largest carrier to ground all planes from coast to coast.
Some lingering problems remained. At midday, American and regional offshoot American Eagle had canceled more than 200 flights, according to flight-tracking service FlightAware.com. But that was a huge improvement over Tuesday, when American and Eagle canceled nearly 1,000 flights and delayed another 1,100.
"Our operations returned to normal this morning," American Airlines spokeswoman Andrea Huguely said.
Some of Wednesday's cancellations were because of bad weather in Chicago and a lack of crews and planes in the right places. The airline added five unscheduled flights to accommodate passengers stranded in Chicago, Dallas and Los Angeles, Huguely said.
The company blamed the breakdown on a "software issue" that knocked out both primary and backup computer reservation systems, which are also used for everything from issuing boarding passes to determining how much fuel to pump into planes.
The failure affected nearly two-thirds of scheduled flights aboard American and American Eagle. And it was a public-relations nightmare for American, which is preparing to merge with US Airways to become the world's biggest carrier.
Passengers took to social media sites to criticize the airline, which for hours could only apologize and say that it was trying to fix the problem.
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- New solar energy project at Utah Olympic Oval...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City...
- Parks visitors spent $596M in Utah last year
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Obama gives protection to gay,... 6
- Future of Draper Park School building... 4
- New solar energy project at Utah... 4
- Weird ways our brains control our money... 3
- Project aims to improve wireless... 2
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 2
- US-EU trade talks sour amid chlorine... 1
- Why airlines didn't avoid risky Ukraine... 1