Dead Sea Scrolls, other artifacts to be put on display at The Leonardo this fall
SALT LAKE CITY — Officials at The Leonardo museum announced Wednesday that an exhibit showcasing 20 of the Dead Sea Scrolls — including the oldest known copies of the Hebrew Bible — and around 600 other artifacts from ancient Israel would open in the fall.
The exhibit will include portions of Genesis, Psalms, Exodus and Isaiah, and will highlight Brigham Young University's research contributions.
"It is a high compliment from Israel that Utah residents and visitors will be one of the few places in the country that will have the privilege of seeing the Dead Sea Scroll exhibition," Gov. Gary Herbert said Wednesday. "The scrolls and the 600 other artifacts coming to Utah along with a several-ton section of the Temple Mount Wailing Wall will give many people a chance to experience a unique part of world history they might not have otherwise."
The Dead Sea Scrolls are thought to have been written or collected by a Jewish sect that fled Jerusalem 2,000 years ago and settled at Qumran, on the banks of the Dead Sea. They were discovered by a Bedouin goat herder in 1947 and are thought to have been written between 200 BCE and 200 CE.
The Israel Museum holds the most complete scrolls, while the Israel Antiquities Authority holds tens of thousands of fragments from 900 Dead Sea manuscripts.
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- Eagle Mountain residents told not to use city...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 80
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Man accused in BYU gropings ordered to... 7