Dead Sea Scrolls, other artifacts to be put on display at The Leonardo this fall
SALT LAKE CITY — Officials at The Leonardo museum announced Wednesday that an exhibit showcasing 20 of the Dead Sea Scrolls — including the oldest known copies of the Hebrew Bible — and around 600 other artifacts from ancient Israel would open in the fall.
The exhibit will include portions of Genesis, Psalms, Exodus and Isaiah, and will highlight Brigham Young University's research contributions.
"It is a high compliment from Israel that Utah residents and visitors will be one of the few places in the country that will have the privilege of seeing the Dead Sea Scroll exhibition," Gov. Gary Herbert said Wednesday. "The scrolls and the 600 other artifacts coming to Utah along with a several-ton section of the Temple Mount Wailing Wall will give many people a chance to experience a unique part of world history they might not have otherwise."
The Dead Sea Scrolls are thought to have been written or collected by a Jewish sect that fled Jerusalem 2,000 years ago and settled at Qumran, on the banks of the Dead Sea. They were discovered by a Bedouin goat herder in 1947 and are thought to have been written between 200 BCE and 200 CE.
The Israel Museum holds the most complete scrolls, while the Israel Antiquities Authority holds tens of thousands of fragments from 900 Dead Sea manuscripts.
- BYU student health plan exemption expires
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden...
- Woman accused of stabbing girlfriend 46 times...
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- FBI investigating fatal crash on Ute reservation
- Mia Love paying back money spent on...
- 'One drink, one time': New research shows...
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 53
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 47
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 45
- Family of man killed by Spanish Fork... 34
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Mia Love paying back money spent on... 27
- Students see 'great growth' in second... 18
- About Utah: He walked around the lake... 15