The 124th section of the Doctrine and Covenants mandates the construction of the Nauvoo House. It was to be a place of residence and of rest for weary travelers. As a boarding house, it was never completed.
The structure seen here was, for the most part, built following the removal of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-day Saints who followed Brigham Young to the West.
It was known as the Riverside Mansion or Bidamon House. It is common, however, to hear it still referred to as the Nauvoo House.
The interior view shows the room in which Emma died.
The exterior view shows descendants of Joseph and Emma Hale Smith in front of the Nauvoo House.
The Joseph and Emma Smith family organization is led by direct descendants Gracia Jones and Michael Kennedy, along with Michael's wife, Darcy. Family members gather every two years so that they can get to know one another and, for family members who are not familiar with Joseph and Emma, educate each other about who they descend from.
- Picturing history: West Lebanon, New Hampshire
- Will this key line in Melania Trump's GOP...
- Did the Republican Party just adopt the 'most...
- Cookbook review: 'The Lion House Cookbook'...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: At times the people we...
- GOP platform: Plenty for evangelicals to love
- Adult coloring books get niched: Color me...
- Why many churches can't endorse political...
- Did the Republican Party just adopt the... 48
- Defending the Faith: Two theological... 28
- BYU climbs from No. 15 to No. 5 in this... 25
- Utah man credits God for survival of 4... 24
- Ohio Mormon offered invocation at... 22
- Why many churches can't endorse... 13
- GOP platform: Plenty for evangelicals... 12
- Revealed: What a draft of the... 10