SETH JENKINS, Manti, baseball: Manti has surged to the front of the 2A baseball rankings with 13 straight victories, and the play of this junior catch is a big reason why.
In addition to managing the pitching staff, Jenkins has been outstanding at the plate cranking out 10 doubles and two home runs. His 10 doubles lead the entire state.
Last week he hit one of his home runs in a 13-2 win over North Sevier.
Jenkins lettered in football and basketball earlier this school year, and also maintains a 4.0 GPA.
He was recently elected as student body secretary for next year.
BELLE STODDARD, Bountiful, softball: As a four-year starter, Belle Stoddard understands how to deal with the pressure that comes with being the pitcher for one of the state's best softball teams.
This year that pressure actually increased when she was asked to throw every varsity game.
"She's thrown every pitch for the varsity so far," said Bountiful head coach Butch Latey. And she's won all but one this season.
The Braves are undefeated in region play earning a critical win over East in the showdown between the region's top two teams last week. In that win, Stoddard struck out 10 batters and allowed just three hits.
"She's a good listener and she pretty much performs any of the stuff we work on," said Latey. "She's also a really good team leader, along with catcher Kristi Dubois."
Both are high honor students and have made sure the team doesn't get bogged down in drama this season.
"They're smart and they've experienced the negative part of team play, and they're trying to keep everything positive," he said. "they don't let anybody stray."
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48