SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah has hired a new head men's and women's swimming and diving coach to replace Greg Winslow, who was let go last month amid allegations of mistreatment of athletes and other misconduct.
The new coach is Joe Dykstra, who was recently named the 2013 Sun Belt Conference co-Coach of the Year and has spent the past seven years as the head women's coach at the University of North Texas. He also brings a familiarity with the Pac-12 Conference to his new post, having spent six years as the associate head men's and women's coach at Washington from 2001-06.
"We had some very good candidates apply for our position and we are very pleased that our top choice accepted the job," said Utah director of athletics Chris Hill. "Joe's teams have succeeded in the pool and in the classroom, and his vision for the program matches our university's."
Dykstra, who received a bachelor's degree in zoology from Washington in 1998 after a four-year swimming career, said he is excited to join the Utah program.
"To be able to lead a coed program in the Pac-12 Conference is a tremendous honor," he said. "Utah has limitless potential and I am looking forward to building on its recent success and taking this program to new heights."
The Utah swimming program received national attention last month when allegations about Winslow were revealed after several complaints by former swimmers and their families.
Winslow was accused of sexual abuse of a teenage girl at his previous job in Arizona before becoming the Utah coach in 2007 and was suspended on Feb. 28. Then in early March the university said it would not renew Winslow's contract.
On March 11, the university announced it was hiring a pair of outside investigators to review the allegations against Winslow as well as the manner in which the athletic department and university handled the situation. Some parents said they complained to the athletic department as far back as 2008.
No report has been filed by the investigators and no timetable was given as to when any findings will be made public.
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28