Columnist and author Michael Barone discusses immigration legislation and the irritation expressed by Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy on March 20.
"For months, I have urged the president to send his proposal for comprehensive immigration reform to the Senate," Leahy noted. He might have added that the White House, with access to the expertise and experience of the Justice and Homeland Security Departments, could easily have come up with a draft.
But the president is holding back, Leahy said, "at the request of a few senators who are engaged in secret, closed-door discussions" to prepare a bill they promised "by the beginning of March," a deadline that "has come and gone."
Barone continues, stating that opponents of legislation will try to stretch the process out until it is too late to act. But it is also true that rubber-stamping the first draft of a bill hundreds of pages long can produce a law rife with unintended and unhappy consequences (see Obamacare).
And it is certainly not true, as White House press secretary Jay Carney argued, that all the issues have already been aired out in the 2006 and 2007 debates on immigration legislation.
Barones argues that given the many aspects of what the United States is facing with immigration today, it doesn't seem unreasonable for the judiciary committees in both houses to spend more than a week on hearings after the unveiling of legislative language.
Read more about Extra Care Required in Crafting Immigration Reform on Townhall.
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- In our opinion: Disgusting algae bloom...
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake
- My view: Prison reform proponents have it...
- Arthur Cyr: Coup attempt underscores...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 32
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 25
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- My view: More whites should practice... 22
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 20
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake 16