The Asbury Park Press, Doug Hood) NO SALES, Associated Press
TOMS RIVER, N.J. — A funeral was held Saturday for a 6-year-old boy who authorities say was accidentally shot dead by a 4-year-old playmate who grabbed a rifle from his home.
Dozens of mourners filled St. Joseph's Church in the boys' hometown, Toms River, to remember Brandon Holt.
Green ribbons were tied around nearby trees, and many mourners wore green ribbons or green attire to honor Brandon, whose favorite color was green, Neptune's Asbury Park Press newspaper (http://on.app.com/16UAe2G) reported.
The boys were playing Monday in their neighborhood when the 4-year-old got a loaded .22-caliber rifle from his family's home and shot Brandon in the head, authorities said. The boys were about 15 yards apart.
The younger boy's mother called an emergency dispatcher to report the shooting, prosecutors said. Brandon died at a hospital a day later.
No charges have been filed, but the shooting remains under investigation. The Atlantic County prosecutor's office has taken over the case because the parents of the 4-year-old have relatives who worked in law enforcement in Ocean County, where Toms River is located.
Brandon's father, Ron Holt, said he and his wife had decided to donate his organs because they believe it could do some good.
One resident said the two families had not lived in the neighborhood for long and she did not know them well.
"I'm sad for the children involved and their families, but I'm angry with whoever owns that gun and allowed a little child to get hold of it," Debi Coto, who lives a few doors down, said after the shooting.
The shooting came just days after a 4-year-old boy in Tennessee grabbed a loaded gun at a family cookout and accidentally shot to death the wife of a sheriff's deputy and amid debate over gun control laws in the wake of December's Newtown, Conn., elementary school massacre, in which 20 first-graders and six educators were slain.
Information from: Asbury Park (N.J.) Press, http://www.app.com
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Virus expert sees 'silver lining' in Ebola...
- Oscar Pistorius starts serving 5-year prison...
- Jodi Arias sentencing retrial opens in Arizona
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Lower gas prices could mean economic impact...
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex marriage
- Fire exposes illegal Chinese factories in Italy
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 53
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 22
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 21
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 9
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8