TACOMA, Wash. — The Salt Lake Bees grabbed a pair of wins in Tacoma on Saturday night, as they beat the Rainiers 8-4 in the finish of a suspended game and then rallied to take the regularly scheduled contest 4-3.
Salt Lake was down 3-2 in the seventh when Roberto Lopez singled, was sacrificed to second and he took third on a wild pitch. Matt Young walked and stole second. With two outs, Luis Rodriguez walked to load the bases and Efren Navarro grounded a single to left to bring home Lopez and Young.
The Bees had trailed 3-0 after four innings, but Chris Snyder led off the fifth with a home run and Young drove in a run with a ground out. Matt Shoemaker (1-1) picked up the win, as he went six innings and allowed three runs on six hits with eight strikeouts and two walks. Robert Coello worked a 1-2-3 seventh inning to record his first save of the season.
In the completion of Friday night's suspended game, Salt Lake scored five runs in the fifth inning to break a scoreless tie on a run-scoring infield single by Roberto Lopez, a two run single by Scott Cousins, an RBI infield single by Matt Young and a throwing error. When play resumed on Saturday, Trent Oeltjen and Luis Rodriguez added solo homers and John Fester delivered a sacrifice fly. David Carpenter (3-0) tossed three scoreless innings to earn the victory. Starting pitcher A.J. Schugel tossed four scoreless innings before the suspension, while allowing just two hits with seven strikeouts and two walks.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48