The column, "Utah falls short in dealing with at-risk students," by Natalie Gochnour was terrific (April 5). She is right to address a current Utah problem that should give us all cause for concern.
Our high school graduation rate ranks in the bottom half of the country. I have an extensive background in education as a public school teacher, three-time PTA president and on the Salt Lake school board for 12 years. I realize that the solution is difficult but also I believe that we need to make every effort to do more. Our young people absolutely deserve no less than our time and our best effort.
To quote Natalie: "As Utahns, we own these problems. We can pay now or pay a lot more later. These are our kids. These are our future. It's time to make them a priority." Many would agree that without an action plan we will pay later with higher levels of substance abuse, incarceration, unemployment and welfare payments.
Salt Lake City
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Letter: Methane benefits
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 62
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 38
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 22