The column, "Utah falls short in dealing with at-risk students," by Natalie Gochnour was terrific (April 5). She is right to address a current Utah problem that should give us all cause for concern.
Our high school graduation rate ranks in the bottom half of the country. I have an extensive background in education as a public school teacher, three-time PTA president and on the Salt Lake school board for 12 years. I realize that the solution is difficult but also I believe that we need to make every effort to do more. Our young people absolutely deserve no less than our time and our best effort.
To quote Natalie: "As Utahns, we own these problems. We can pay now or pay a lot more later. These are our kids. These are our future. It's time to make them a priority." Many would agree that without an action plan we will pay later with higher levels of substance abuse, incarceration, unemployment and welfare payments.
Salt Lake City
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice denied
- My view: More whites should practice meekness...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 35
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 30
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 27
- My view: More whites should practice... 22
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 21
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 16
- John Florez: Justice delayed is justice... 13