Finally, courage from a political leader in support of taxes for education. Over the last decade the state has moved general tax revenues into highways in lieu of raising gas taxes. Leaders have created taxes on hospitals and nursing homes in order to provide the state matching funds required to draw federal Medicaid dollars — thus relieving general revenues.
It is now time for all to sacrifice for education — new general tax dollars are desparately needed for public and higher education. Our education system can no longer be the victim of political delegates vs. real elected officials. Thank you Sen. Aaron Osmond for your courage.
- Letter: Peanut butter ban?
- Letter: Pay for your share
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules...
- Drew Clark: What President Obama does well:...
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will save lives
- In our opinion: Parents reading to young...
- Letter: Repeating past mistakes
- John Florez: Education is 'app' to change...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 70
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 54
- In our opinion: How immigration reform... 43
- 6 important takeaways for families in... 37
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- Letter: Not so lazy 34
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 31
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 26