Finally, courage from a political leader in support of taxes for education. Over the last decade the state has moved general tax revenues into highways in lieu of raising gas taxes. Leaders have created taxes on hospitals and nursing homes in order to provide the state matching funds required to draw federal Medicaid dollars — thus relieving general revenues.
It is now time for all to sacrifice for education — new general tax dollars are desparately needed for public and higher education. Our education system can no longer be the victim of political delegates vs. real elected officials. Thank you Sen. Aaron Osmond for your courage.
- Natalie Gochnour: Contrasting religious practice
- Letter: Romancing the gun
- John Florez: School board members must speak up
- In our opinion: Remembering German Unity Day
- Letter: Modest growth
- Letter: Carson’s message
- Greg Bell: Fixing health care the 'Utah way'
- George F. Will: Finding our place in the...