Finally, courage from a political leader in support of taxes for education. Over the last decade the state has moved general tax revenues into highways in lieu of raising gas taxes. Leaders have created taxes on hospitals and nursing homes in order to provide the state matching funds required to draw federal Medicaid dollars — thus relieving general revenues.
It is now time for all to sacrifice for education — new general tax dollars are desparately needed for public and higher education. Our education system can no longer be the victim of political delegates vs. real elected officials. Thank you Sen. Aaron Osmond for your courage.
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an impoverished...
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line...
- Everything you need to know about the...
- Letter: Protected lands
- My view: Holistic approach to wild horses...
- Richard Davis: Legislators— Model the...
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult...
- Letter: Utah's birthright
- Robert Bennett: Contrary to Krugman,... 60
- Letter: Learn the Constitution 52
- In our opinion: Explaining editorial... 44
- Letter: Utah's birthright 44
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 39
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 39
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 34
- John Florez: Corporate or public... 31