Officials: At least 14 hurt in stabbing attack at Houston-area college campus
Houston Chronicle, Melissa Phillip, Associated Press
CYPRESS, Texas — At least 14 people were wounded in an apparent stabbing attack on a Houston-area college campus Tuesday, authorities said.
The attack about 11:20 a.m. on the Lone Star Community College System's campus in Cypress sent at least 12 people to area hospitals, including four people taken by helicopter in critical condition, according to Cy-Fair Volunteer Fire Department spokesman Robert Rasa. He said several people refused treatment at the scene and all the wounds were consistent with stabbing.
The Harris County Sheriff's Department confirmed at least 14 people were wounded and spokesman Thomas Gilliland said authorities have one suspect in custody.
Lone Star officials initially urged people on campus, about 25 miles northwest of downtown Houston, to take shelter and be on alert for a second suspect. But Gilliland said a short time later that authorities believed just one person was responsible. He did not say whether the suspect is a student.
"It was the same suspect going from building to building," Gilliland said.
Gilliland said the suspected attacker is believed to have had some type of knife or a pencil, but authorities could not immediately confirm the weapon used.
Student Teaundrae Perryman said he was in class when he received a text message from a friend and went outside to see a young woman being loaded into an ambulance with what appeared to be stab wounds to either her neck or head. He said he didn't receive an email alert from the college until 11:56 a.m.
"I was concerned but I wasn't afraid because I was with a large group of people," the 21-year-old said, later adding, "The police got to the scene very quickly."
The attack came three months after a different Lone Star campus was the site of a shooting in which two people were hurt. The suspected gunman in that incident is charged with aggravated assault.
- Ex-MLB hurler winds up for Vermont governor...
- Delegates in hand, Trump says he's got GOP...
- Court upholds $3M judgment against Gerber...
- UN envoy to Syria: Peace talks not set to...
- Origin of key Clinton emails from report are...
- McDonald's CEO says company is making...
- CDC urges speed on Zika as House moves to...
- Slain college student's mother leads...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 109
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 45
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 41
- Delegates in hand, Trump says he's got... 33
- In Hiroshima, Obama honors 'silent cry'... 25
- Donald Trump breaks with nation's only... 17
- Trump tells California 'there is no... 17
- Trump: Those in US illegally treated... 15