I recently heard a parent say that her son's entire class failed a math test under the new Common Core 'education' standards assessments curriculum, which did not test math facts. Proponents of Common Core argue it is a state-led initiative. But the NGA (National Governors' Association) and CCSSO (Council of Chief State School Officers) "were involved in drafting, evaluating and winning support for the standards" as private organizations that are backed by the Gates Foundation.
Textbook publisher McGraw-Hill says it is "an endorsing partner of the NGA/CCSSO common core initiative" and that "The Gates Foundation will spend an estimated $354 million between 2010 and 2014" to install Common Core. Smarter Balanced Consortium says it is "one of two multi-state consortia awarded funding from the U.S. Department of Education to develop an assessment system based on the new Common Core Standards."
President Obama enticed states saying he would reduce their obligations to No Child Left Behind, a federal fiasco, and with $4.35 billion in Race to the Top dollars. These intrusions violate multiple federal laws, not to mention data gathering. Parents, educators and taxpayers must demand Gov. Gary Herbert get us out of Common Core now.
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- Nelson Mandela left legacy of freedom and faith
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still separate...
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be contained
- In our opinion: Letting Afghanistan revert to...
- About Utah: His business is fun, games and...
- Richard Davis: Don't turn A.G. into an...
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 43
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 40
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 40
- Charles Krauthammer: The real problem... 37
- Letter: Preventative care 29
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends... 27
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 16
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 15