Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
"We need not fear the future, nor falter in hope and good cheer, because God is with us," said Elder Bruce D. Porter of the Seventy during the Sunday afternoon session of general conference.
"We live today in an era of turbulence and uncertainty, a time the Lord prophesied to Enoch would be marked by 'days of wickedness and vengeance,'" Elder Porter said. "Tribulation and difficult times may lie ahead, yet we too have cause for good cheer and rejoicing. For, we live in the last dispensation when God has restored His Church and kingdom to the earth in preparation for the return of His Son."
The Lord stands by His Church and people, keeping them safe until His coming, Elder Porter taught. He reminded the congregation that among the first recorded words of counsel that Jesus gave to His newly called disciples in Galilee was the two-word admonition: "Fear not."
"He repeated that counsel many times during His ministry. To His Saints in our day, the Savior has said: 'Be of good cheer and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you and will stand by you.'"
The Church stands as a bulwark of safety for its members, he said. Though conditions in the world may become very vexing at times, faithful Latter-day Saints will find sanctuary in the stakes of Zion.
"Every one of us, and our families, can be armed with the power of God as a defense if we will but remain true to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and let the Spirit be our guide," he said. "Trials may come — and we may not understand everything that happens to us or around us. But if we humbly, quietly trust in the Lord, He will give us guidance and strength in every challenge we face. When our only desire is to please Him, we will be blessed with a deep inner peace."
Elder Porter shared examples of people in his own life who — despite difficult circumstances or cloudy days — continued to serve and exemplified optimism.
"Even in a darkening world, we as Latter-day Saints may sing with joy, knowing that the powers of heaven are with God's Church and people," he said. "We may rejoice in the knowledge that a beautiful morning lies ahead — the dawn of the millennial day, when the Son of God shall rise in the East and reign again on the earth."
Speaking of two other beautiful mornings in the history of the world, Elder Porter testified of the restoration of the gospel and the Resurrection of the Savior.
"As we rise up each morning, may we look to heaven in faith, and say, 'Oh what a beautiful morning.'"
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand accounts of...
- LDS Church to create Central Eurasian Mission...
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't capture...
- 21 Shakespeare quotes shared in LDS general...
- Mormon humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari, family...
- 'As great as hosting the Olympics': Utah's...
- Ground broken for Star Valley Wyoming Temple
- President Uchtdorf speaks at inaugural John...
- Q-and-A with Elder Oaks: Protecting... 121
- Defending the Faith: Warfare and the... 72
- All 4 of Joseph Smith's firsthand... 53
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Euphemisms can't... 35
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 22
- 5 professional athletes who stand up... 22
- Faith leaders call for religious... 18
- Utah woman produces her own Book of... 16