"Our quest for eternal life is nothing other than a quest to understand who God is, and for us to return to live with Him," said Elder Christoffel Golden Jr. of the Seventy.
He said that "the prevailing view of the Father and the Son throughout the many centuries and among much of mankind is clearly inconsistent with the teachings of the Holy Scriptures.
In the First Vision of the Prophet Joseph Smith clearly saw the Father and the Son as two separate and distinct beings. "This experience by the boy Joseph, followed by many other visions and revelations, reveals that God actually exists;... man is created in the image of God; our Heavenly Father is literally the Father of Jesus Christ; God continues to reveal Himself to man; God is ever near and interested in us; and He answers our prayers."
This is confirmed by the visions of the disciple Stephen and the Apostle John in the New Testament, and the appearance of the Savior to the Nephites in the Book of Mormon.
In the four Gospels, Christ refers to His Father 160 times, and another 122 times while visiting the Nephites in the Book of Mormon.
Jesus Christ is the Jehovah, the God of Israel, the Messiah, the Savior and the Redeemer of the world.
"The Father and the Son are distinctly separate beings, but They are perfectly united and one in power and purpose. Their oneness is not reserved for Them alone; rather, They desire this same oneness for everyone who will, with devotion, follow and obey Their commandments."
While anyone can feel the influence of the Holy Ghost — which brings an acquaintance with the Father and the Son — His full measure can come only after receiving the ordinances of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands.
"Seen in its true light, the doctrine of the Father and the Son is the doctrine of the eternal family. Every human being has existed previously as a spirit child with heavenly parents, with Christ being the Firstborn of the Father in this heavenly family."
Elder Golden quoted President Ezra Taft Benson, "'Nothing is going to startle us more, when we pass through the veil to the other side, than to realize how well we know our Father [in Heaven], and how familiar His face is to us.'"
- Utah family adopts 2 newborns 6 weeks apart
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- LDS Church releases video, topic page...
- Wright Words: A day in the life of Mormon...
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin brothers...
- LDS grandmother completes Personal Progress...
- 'Joseph Smith: The Prophet of the...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 53
- LDS Church releases video, topic page... 31
- LDS CIO helps LDSTech attendees better... 26
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- An LDS missionary and a Marine: Twin... 13
- Here's how you can learn more about God 13
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign... 9