WEST VALLEY CITY — The Ontario Reign scored 1:55 into overtime to defeat the Utah Grizzlies 2-1 and win the best-of-seven series 4-0.
It marked the second-straight night that Ontario tied things late and went on for the overtime win. On Saturday they tied things up with 3:01 left on a four-on-four goal after Utah had led 1-0 for nearly 50 minutes.
The Grizzlies again got a spectacular performance from goalie Shane Owen as he stopped the first 41 shots and a season-high of 43 of 45 in the game as the Grizzlies suffered through their second heartbreaking 2-1 overtime loss in as many nights. Owen also stopped a Utah season-high of 21 shots in the second period.
"Shane Owen is our MVP. He really gave us a chance to win every time he was between the pipes there," Grizzlies head coach Kevin Colley said. "It's tough when you start on the road and it's a quick turnaround and then come home and lose in overtime two times in a row, and it's just tough right now. It wasn't meant to be. We did our best to bring in guys late to create a new culture and we did a good job of that, we just ran up against a hell of a hockey club."
Jimmy Martin gave Utah a 1-0 lead seven minutes into the first period as Jordan Clendenning and Adam Estoclet batted along the left wall for upwards of 20 seconds to keep the play alive before finding Martin, who found an opening in the right circle and blasted the shot through traffic.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26