WEST VALLEY CITY — The Ontario Reign scored 1:55 into overtime to defeat the Utah Grizzlies 2-1 and win the best-of-seven series 4-0.
It marked the second-straight night that Ontario tied things late and went on for the overtime win. On Saturday they tied things up with 3:01 left on a four-on-four goal after Utah had led 1-0 for nearly 50 minutes.
The Grizzlies again got a spectacular performance from goalie Shane Owen as he stopped the first 41 shots and a season-high of 43 of 45 in the game as the Grizzlies suffered through their second heartbreaking 2-1 overtime loss in as many nights. Owen also stopped a Utah season-high of 21 shots in the second period.
"Shane Owen is our MVP. He really gave us a chance to win every time he was between the pipes there," Grizzlies head coach Kevin Colley said. "It's tough when you start on the road and it's a quick turnaround and then come home and lose in overtime two times in a row, and it's just tough right now. It wasn't meant to be. We did our best to bring in guys late to create a new culture and we did a good job of that, we just ran up against a hell of a hockey club."
Jimmy Martin gave Utah a 1-0 lead seven minutes into the first period as Jordan Clendenning and Adam Estoclet batted along the left wall for upwards of 20 seconds to keep the play alive before finding Martin, who found an opening in the right circle and blasted the shot through traffic.
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Ute recruit Tyler Huntley posting huge...
- Felt's Facts: Breaking down the Utah high...
- Underrated East Carolina will test BYU's defense
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 53
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 40
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 19