Peter Tobia, Associated Press
PHILADELPHIA — A fire burned a fabric shop, upstairs apartments and a neighboring boutique Saturday evening, causing a partial roof collapse that killed a firefighter and injured a colleague who was trying to rescue him, officials said.
One firefighter was killed in the line of duty, Amy Daly, a nursing supervisor at Jefferson University Hospitals, told The Associated Press. The second firefighter was hospitalized with burns, officials told The Philadelphia Inquirer.
The dead firefighter's name was not immediately released, but other firefighters said he held the rank of captain in a ladder company. His comrades saluted as his body was carried out and taken to the hospital.
The fire broke out around 5 p.m. at Jack B. Fabrics in South Philadelphia's Fabric Row section and spread to Urban Princess, a store next door. The stores' proprietors said everyone in both buildings at the time of the fire managed to escape.
The fire's cause wasn't immediately known, but fabric store owner Bruce Blumenthal said he believes it started in a wall and may have been electrical in nature.
Blumenthal said he smelled smoke coming from the basement and found a box of collars and cuffs on fire. He tried to put the flames out with an extinguisher, to no avail.
The fire cut power to more than 300 customers. The Red Cross is assisting at least 17 people.
Two city firefighters died a year ago this month when a building collapsed while they were inspecting it after an adjacent blaze.
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- 35 arrested in Oakland after protest march
- Rubber chickens, afros and clowns: A look at...
- Evangelicals with gay children challenging...
- These two things are helping California's...
- In Britain, US turkey dinner is big for business
- Immigration reform will boost the economy,...
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 70
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Ferguson businesses torched in... 17
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Obama heads to Chicago to pitch... 13
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12