One of the elders, a country boy, persuaded his companion to return. The inexperienced young man said: "Mr. Pollard, you said we didn't really believe Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. I testify to you that Joseph was a prophet. He did translate the Book of Mormon. He saw God the Father and Jesus the Son. I know it."
The next day, Mr. Pollard telephoned and asked the elders to return. Later, as a Church member, he said, "Their message, coupled with their testimonies, changed my life and the lives of my family."
4. President Monson said, "There is no substitute for love. Successful missionaries love their companions, their mission leaders and the precious persons whom they teach."
Citing Doctrine and Covenants 4:2, 5 and 6, he said, "Well might each of you within the sound of my voice ask himself the question, 'Today, have I increased in faith, in virtue, in knowledge, in godliness, in love?'"
President Monson told of Craig Sudbury and his mother, Pearl, who came to his office many years ago prior to his departure for the Australia Melbourne Mission. Craig's father as noticeably absent. He as not a Church member. Craig expressed his love for his parents and his hope that in some way his father would be touched by the Spirit and open his heart to the gospel.
President Monson said he prayed for and received inspiration. It was to tell Craig, "Serve the Lord with all your heart. Be obedient to your sacred calling. Each week write a letter to your parents; and on occasion write to Dad personally, and let him know how much you love him, and tell him why you're grateful to be his son."
Some 18 months later, Craig's mother told President Monson how her son had written letters to his parents faithfully each week. She said her husband, Fred, had recently stood for the first time in a testimony meeting and surprised everyone by announcing his decision to become a member of the Church.
"He indicated that he and I would go to Australia to meet Craig at the conclusion of his mission so that Fred could be Craig's final baptism as a full-time missionary," the mother said.
"No missionary stood so tall as did Craig Sudbury when, in far-off Australia, he helped his father into water waist-deep and, raising his right arm to the square, repeated those sacred words [of the baptismal ordinance]," President Monson recounted. "Love had won its victory. Serve the Lord with love."
- Faith and fame: Former 'Dancing With the...
- LDS Church outlines how it prevents child...
- New poll finds Americans less likely to keep...
- Up-close view of angel Moroni statue being...
- Should your boss know that you keep the Sabbath?
- LDS Church hires assistant church historian...
- The evolution of LDS 'lady missionaries' and...
- Twila Van Leer: Tips for preserving valuable...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 39
- Should your boss know that you keep the... 24
- Defending the Faith: Taking a 'Leap of... 23
- New poll finds Americans less likely to... 22
- For Hillary Clinton, church offers a... 18
- The benefits some families see from... 15
- Power of one: BYU grad hopes to help... 8