WNIT Championships: Drexel women beat Utah Utes 46-43 to win WNIT title
PHILADELPHIA — Hollie Mershon hit the winning layup with 20.6 seconds remaining to lift Drexel over Utah 46-43 on Saturday in the Women's NIT championship game.
Taylor Wootton scored 16 points, including the 1,000th of her career, and Mershon, finished with 14 points, eight rebounds, three assists and two assists for the Dragons (28-10), who closed a record-setting season with the first postseason title in program history.
Mershon was named the tournament MVP.
Iwalani Rodrigues led Utah (23-14) with 12 points, including a 3-pointer that put the visiting Utes up 43-42 with just under three minutes remaining.
But with Drexel still trailing by one in the final minute, Renee Johnson-Allen got a big steal in the backcourt, and after a timeout, Mershon put the Dragons ahead for good with a driving layup through traffic.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 40
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26