WNIT Championships: Drexel women beat Utah Utes 46-43 to win WNIT title
PHILADELPHIA — Hollie Mershon hit the winning layup with 20.6 seconds remaining to lift Drexel over Utah 46-43 on Saturday in the Women's NIT championship game.
Taylor Wootton scored 16 points, including the 1,000th of her career, and Mershon, finished with 14 points, eight rebounds, three assists and two assists for the Dragons (28-10), who closed a record-setting season with the first postseason title in program history.
Mershon was named the tournament MVP.
Iwalani Rodrigues led Utah (23-14) with 12 points, including a 3-pointer that put the visiting Utes up 43-42 with just under three minutes remaining.
But with Drexel still trailing by one in the final minute, Renee Johnson-Allen got a big steal in the backcourt, and after a timeout, Mershon put the Dragons ahead for good with a driving layup through traffic.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 19
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7