WNIT Championships: Drexel women beat Utah Utes 46-43 to win WNIT title
PHILADELPHIA — Hollie Mershon hit the winning layup with 20.6 seconds remaining to lift Drexel over Utah 46-43 on Saturday in the Women's NIT championship game.
Taylor Wootton scored 16 points, including the 1,000th of her career, and Mershon, finished with 14 points, eight rebounds, three assists and two assists for the Dragons (28-10), who closed a record-setting season with the first postseason title in program history.
Mershon was named the tournament MVP.
Iwalani Rodrigues led Utah (23-14) with 12 points, including a 3-pointer that put the visiting Utes up 43-42 with just under three minutes remaining.
But with Drexel still trailing by one in the final minute, Renee Johnson-Allen got a big steal in the backcourt, and after a timeout, Mershon put the Dragons ahead for good with a driving layup through traffic.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- College football: Utes wrap up...
- BYU's Arellano makes big impact in win over...
- Utah football: Utes' 2015 schedule... 108
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 73
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 65
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 61
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34