Former BYU quarterback Gifford Nielsen called to be a General Authority
Jason Swensen, Deseret News
That's why some ears may have perked up Saturday afternoon when they heard the name S. Gifford Nielsen announced as one of the General Authorities for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to serve in the First Quorum of the Seventy.
According to the church's newsroom website, "Elder S. Gifford Nielsen, 58, was serving as an Area Seventy in the North America Southwest Area when he was called to the First Quorum of the Seventy. He has served in many Church callings, including seminary teacher, elders quorum president, mission presidents counselor, bishop, stake president and Area Seventy.
Nielsen received a bachelors degree from Brigham Young University. He played professional football for six years and worked in television broadcasting and banking."
He was born in Provo, and is married to Wendy Olson. They are the parents of six children and currently reside in Sugar Land, Texas.
Nielsen was drafted by the Houston Oilers in the third round of the 1978 NFL Draft, where he played six seasons. He was the first Utahn to be named as a first-team All-American during his junior year at BYU after leading the nation in TD passes (29) and finishing second in total offense (3,192 yds). Nielsen was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1994.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 143
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 38
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16