Former BYU quarterback Gifford Nielsen called to be a General Authority
Jason Swensen, Deseret News
That's why some ears may have perked up Saturday afternoon when they heard the name S. Gifford Nielsen announced as one of the General Authorities for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to serve in the First Quorum of the Seventy.
According to the church's newsroom website, "Elder S. Gifford Nielsen, 58, was serving as an Area Seventy in the North America Southwest Area when he was called to the First Quorum of the Seventy. He has served in many Church callings, including seminary teacher, elders quorum president, mission presidents counselor, bishop, stake president and Area Seventy.
Nielsen received a bachelors degree from Brigham Young University. He played professional football for six years and worked in television broadcasting and banking."
He was born in Provo, and is married to Wendy Olson. They are the parents of six children and currently reside in Sugar Land, Texas.
Nielsen was drafted by the Houston Oilers in the third round of the 1978 NFL Draft, where he played six seasons. He was the first Utahn to be named as a first-team All-American during his junior year at BYU after leading the nation in TD passes (29) and finishing second in total offense (3,192 yds). Nielsen was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1994.
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 70
- First steps: Utes open season with... 67
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 36
- Texas will be without starting QB,... 30
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28