"We are not alone," said Elder Stanley G. Ellis of the Seventy during the Saturday afternoon session of general conference. "We don't have to be lost, confused, deceived or less effective. This is especially true in the case of our Heavenly Father who has taught and shown us not just a way, but the way."
Making a list of specific examples concerning the Lord's way, Elder Ellis said He teaches the way to live, love, help pray, interact with each other, lead, marry, raise children, learn, know the truth and share the gospel.
From the scriptures, Elder Ellis gave several examples of how the Lord guides us to follow His way.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9).
"…every man walketh in is own way" (Doctrine and Covenants 1:16).
"But it must needs be done in mine own way …" (Doctrine and Covenants 104:16).
He also gave examples of how the Lord's way to do missionary work is found in the scriptures and inspired manuals such as Preach My Gospel.
When asked how he led the Church, Joseph Smith said he taught people correct principles and let them govern themselves.
"One thing we have often been taught is to bloom where we are planted," said Elder Ellis. "For sixteen years I served in the Presidency of the Houston Texas North Stake. Many moved to the area during those years. We would often receive a phone call announcing someone moving in, and asking which was the best ward. Only once in sixteen years did I receive a call asking, 'Which ward needs a good family?'"
With the acceleration of the Lord's work in the last days, Elder Ellis emphasized the critical importance of doing things the Lord's way. "…in the gift of His Son hath God prepared a more excellent way…" (Ether 12:11).
He said that many in the world today are living in confusion, wandering in forbidden paths and suffering the consequences of poor choices because they don't know God's way.
"Again I witness the Lord has the way!" he said. "Our Heavenly Father knows us, loves us and wants to help. He knows best how to help. We are not spiritual orphans!"
- Pope Francis: The world's at war, but not a...
- Pope visits Auschwitz in silence, meets...
- Pope urges clergy to go into the world, tend...
- Elder LeGrand R. Curtis Jr. addresses 'A...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- President Uchtdorf visits refugees in Athens,...
- Famed British sextet highlights Pioneer Day...
- Pioneer Day sunrise service: 'A legacy of faith'
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 45
- Democrats and Republicans double-down... 34
- 'Duck Dynasty' star: Media,... 26
- 5 prayers to God that were just uttered... 21
- Defending the Faith: The 18th annual... 20
- Can Hillary Clinton finally close the... 17
- The Clean Cut: New BYU football video... 15
- Great quote, Tim Kaine, but John Wesley... 12