Richard Drew, Associated Press
NEW YORK — U.S. stock market futures are plunging after the Labor Department reported that the economy added just 88,000 jobs in March, the lowest gain in nine months.
Dow Jones industrial average futures slid 135 points to 14,396. Nasdaq 100 futures dropped 33 points to 2,752. S&P 500 futures slid 17 points to 1,537.50.
The number of jobs added was well below the 195,000 economists had predicted, and reflects a sharp slowdown in hiring after several months of strength. The slowdown may signal that the economy is heading into a weak spring
The unemployment rate dropped to 7.6 percent, but only because more people stopped looking for work. The percentage of Americans working or looking for jobs fell to 63.3 percent in March, the lowest in nearly 34 years.
The report weighed on world markets as well.
Despite positive news out of Germany, where a report showed industrial orders rebounded in February, a promising sign for first-quarter growth, Germany's DAX fell 1.9 percent to 7,663.
The news from France was not as promising. The French finance minister warned that the country will barely grow this year. The main market index, the CAC all slid 2 percent to 3,651. Britain's FTSE 100 dropped 1.7 percent to 6,234.14.
Earlier Japan's Nikkei hit a four-year high, boosted by enthusiasm for that nation's new central bank policies. But worries about bird flu in China and saber-rattling in North Korea weighed on other Asian markets.
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon for...
- Walmart to cease sales of semiautomatic rifles
- Magazine honors fastest-growing Utah companies
- Delta to offer nonstop flights from Salt Lake...
- Dave Ramsey says: Dave Ramsey: Use good...
- Contact lens makers take fight over price law...
- Utah native and Lovesac founder's life is...
- Michelle Singletary: Students should use...
- US stocks pare losses after 1,000-point... 15
- 'A war on talent': Jobless rate at 3.6... 15
- Walmart to cease sales of semiautomatic... 11
- Utahns want diverse housing,... 9
- Teens are shopping more like their... 6
- Ground to be broken Thursday afternoon... 5
- Why you don't need to panic about... 3
- Delta to offer nonstop flights from... 3