I don't talk about being a single mother often. But when gay marriage opponents use the argument that children must have a mother and a father to be "healthy, balanced adults," I can no longer stay silent ("Too much at stake in debate," March 29). My daughter is a smart, sarcastic and talented individual. Her favorite activities are playing soccer and figuring out new hairstyles. She is the person she is today because I have made sure she knows that she is loved and supported by me, her grandparents, her aunts and uncles, cousins, church leaders, friends and teachers. Being a single-parent family does not make us any less of a family.
I have numerous friends in same-sex relationships who are raising children. They and their children are not lesser families because a mother and father are not present. Their children are beautiful, smart and most importantly, they are loved. Our children will grow up to be healthy, balanced adults because of this love, and that is what children need. Shame on the Deseret News for telling us our children's welfare is at stake because we do not conform to the notion that children need a mother and a father.
West Valley City
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- In our opinion: Disgusting algae bloom...
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake
- My view: Prison reform proponents have it...
- Arthur Cyr: Coup attempt underscores...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 31
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 27
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 24
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- My view: More whites should practice... 22
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 17