I don't talk about being a single mother often. But when gay marriage opponents use the argument that children must have a mother and a father to be "healthy, balanced adults," I can no longer stay silent ("Too much at stake in debate," March 29). My daughter is a smart, sarcastic and talented individual. Her favorite activities are playing soccer and figuring out new hairstyles. She is the person she is today because I have made sure she knows that she is loved and supported by me, her grandparents, her aunts and uncles, cousins, church leaders, friends and teachers. Being a single-parent family does not make us any less of a family.
I have numerous friends in same-sex relationships who are raising children. They and their children are not lesser families because a mother and father are not present. Their children are beautiful, smart and most importantly, they are loved. Our children will grow up to be healthy, balanced adults because of this love, and that is what children need. Shame on the Deseret News for telling us our children's welfare is at stake because we do not conform to the notion that children need a mother and a father.
West Valley City
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme Court...
- John Florez: A father's heartbreaking letter
- Robert J. Samuelson: The Olympic sinkhole
- In our opinion: Finding – not forcing...
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout year...
- My view: The supergentrification of Sugar House
- Michael Gerson: The Dalai Lama's path to peace
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The 'bathroom...
- In our opinion: Finding – not... 79
- In our opinion: Divided 8-judge Supreme... 49
- Letter: Nothing is 'free' 43
- Those intolerable TSA security lines 21
- On Second Thought: A lighthearted look... 19
- My view: Patriotic Millionaires urges... 17
- My view: Biggest reason for physician... 17
- Drew Clark: Will 2016 be the breakout... 16