I don't talk about being a single mother often. But when gay marriage opponents use the argument that children must have a mother and a father to be "healthy, balanced adults," I can no longer stay silent ("Too much at stake in debate," March 29). My daughter is a smart, sarcastic and talented individual. Her favorite activities are playing soccer and figuring out new hairstyles. She is the person she is today because I have made sure she knows that she is loved and supported by me, her grandparents, her aunts and uncles, cousins, church leaders, friends and teachers. Being a single-parent family does not make us any less of a family.
I have numerous friends in same-sex relationships who are raising children. They and their children are not lesser families because a mother and father are not present. Their children are beautiful, smart and most importantly, they are loved. Our children will grow up to be healthy, balanced adults because of this love, and that is what children need. Shame on the Deseret News for telling us our children's welfare is at stake because we do not conform to the notion that children need a mother and a father.
West Valley City
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Letter: Methane benefits
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 62
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 38
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 22