"Every law-abiding citizen demands justice for this tragedy that has shaken our sense of decency, but not our resolve, to maintain law and order," he said.
Crum had been a magistrate for 12 years and had previously served as police chief in Delbarton. He won the primary handily and ran unopposed in the general election in the fall.
Williamson, a town of 3,200, sits along the Tug Fork River in a part of the state long associated with violence. Mingo and neighboring McDowell County are home to the legendary blood feud between the Hatfield family of West Virginia and the McCoy family of Kentucky, a conflict dating to the Civil War.
Crum's county was dubbed "Bloody Mingo" during the early 20th century mine wars, when unionizing miners battled Baldwin-Felts security agents hired by the coal operators.
Crum's killing saddened and disturbed Maricopa County, Ariz., Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who has described himself as "America's toughest sheriff" and is a national hero to conservatives on immigration issues.
Arpaio himself has been the target of numerous threats, prompting the need for a security detail. Some have said the same protection should be afforded to others who battle criminals.
"Inside one year, two of my deputies were shot, one killed and one nearly killed and now elected law enforcement officials across the nation seem to be being targeted," he said. "The brazenness of these acts is confounding."
Smith reported from Morgantown. Associated Press Writer Lawrence Messina in Charleston contributed to this report.
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- 1 child dead in Idaho elementary school bus...
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh light on...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Former South African President Nelson Mandela...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 94
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 49
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 30
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 24
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Obama declares health care law is... 21