HOUSTON — Texas manager Ron Washington was certainly impressed as he watched Yu Darvish flirt with perfection.
He was even more blown away when he saw a television replay of the Japanese star coming within an out of the second perfect game in Rangers history.
"It wasn't as nasty looking from the side as it was when I saw it on TV," Washington said Wednesday. "He was nasty. I mean, his ball was moving all over the place. He had his cutter working. He had a breaking ball. He threw some splits. He threw a couple of changeups. He threw very few four-seamers. To watch it after the fact, I said he was dominating."
The celebrated right-hander struck out a career-high 14 in a 7-0 win over the Houston Astros on Tuesday night. He was in complete control before Marwin Gonzalez grounded the first pitch he saw up the middle with two outs in the ninth inning.
REDS' LUDWICK EXPECTED TO MISS 3 MONTHS: Reds outfielder Ryan Ludwick is expected to miss at least three months because of a shoulder injury that required surgery.
Ludwick dislocated his right shoulder while sliding into third base in Cincinnati's opening 3-1, 13-inning loss to the Los Angeles Angels on Monday. He had surgery on Wednesday to repair torn cartilage.
Manager Dusty Baker said Ludwick is expected to be sidelined for 13 to 14 weeks.
MARLINS' KOTCHMAN LEAVES IN 5TH INNING: Miami Marlins first baseman Casey Kotchman left Wednesday's game at the Washington Nationals with a strained left hamstring.
The Marlins listed him as day to day.
YANKEES' KURODA HIT BY LINE DRIVE: The already banged-up New York Yankees lost pitcher Hiroki Kuroda after just four outs against Boston on Wednesday night when a line drive bruised the middle finger of his right hand.
The Yankees said Kuroda will have X-rays and additional tests.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule difficult...
- From dating advice to awkward returns: 10 of...
- ESPN highlights BYU basketball's roster...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Doug Robinson: Weber State track coach isn't...
- Morning links: BYU letting fans tailgate;...
- J.J. O'Brien's basketball career comes full...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 104
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 70
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 52
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 50
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 41
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 33
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27