HOUSTON — Texas manager Ron Washington was certainly impressed as he watched Yu Darvish flirt with perfection.
He was even more blown away when he saw a television replay of the Japanese star coming within an out of the second perfect game in Rangers history.
"It wasn't as nasty looking from the side as it was when I saw it on TV," Washington said Wednesday. "He was nasty. I mean, his ball was moving all over the place. He had his cutter working. He had a breaking ball. He threw some splits. He threw a couple of changeups. He threw very few four-seamers. To watch it after the fact, I said he was dominating."
The celebrated right-hander struck out a career-high 14 in a 7-0 win over the Houston Astros on Tuesday night. He was in complete control before Marwin Gonzalez grounded the first pitch he saw up the middle with two outs in the ninth inning.
REDS' LUDWICK EXPECTED TO MISS 3 MONTHS: Reds outfielder Ryan Ludwick is expected to miss at least three months because of a shoulder injury that required surgery.
Ludwick dislocated his right shoulder while sliding into third base in Cincinnati's opening 3-1, 13-inning loss to the Los Angeles Angels on Monday. He had surgery on Wednesday to repair torn cartilage.
Manager Dusty Baker said Ludwick is expected to be sidelined for 13 to 14 weeks.
MARLINS' KOTCHMAN LEAVES IN 5TH INNING: Miami Marlins first baseman Casey Kotchman left Wednesday's game at the Washington Nationals with a strained left hamstring.
The Marlins listed him as day to day.
YANKEES' KURODA HIT BY LINE DRIVE: The already banged-up New York Yankees lost pitcher Hiroki Kuroda after just four outs against Boston on Wednesday night when a line drive bruised the middle finger of his right hand.
The Yankees said Kuroda will have X-rays and additional tests.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 138
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 89
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 67
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33