Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
I urge Gov. Gary Herbert to veto HB43. However well-intentioned it might have been, the simple fact remains that it has a chilling effect on citizens of this state to have a collective voice with a corporate sponsor that can pool the funds of those who are not wealthy and can independently lobby the Legislature. Each succeeding election shows the impact of funding on the ability to get a message or concern heard. Without the ability to have a corporate sponsor help the common man pool his money with others of similar interest, their ability to be heard is diminished. Again, please veto this bill.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- George F. Will: President Obama's epiphanies...
- Dan Liljenquist: Detroit is sending a message...
- Jay Evensen: Utah inversions — 100...
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a problem
- In our opinion: Refinery should be allowed to...
- Letter: American billionaires
- In our opinion: No more 'Government Motors'
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 63
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 44
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 42
- Letter: American billionaires 33
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 32
- President should not act without... 28