Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
I urge Gov. Gary Herbert to veto HB43. However well-intentioned it might have been, the simple fact remains that it has a chilling effect on citizens of this state to have a collective voice with a corporate sponsor that can pool the funds of those who are not wealthy and can independently lobby the Legislature. Each succeeding election shows the impact of funding on the ability to get a message or concern heard. Without the ability to have a corporate sponsor help the common man pool his money with others of similar interest, their ability to be heard is diminished. Again, please veto this bill.
- Letter: Marijuana, an evil plant
- Dan Liljenquist: Credit Utah's Sen. Lee as...
- In Our Opinion: IRS data breach is...
- Letter: Keep money in Draper
- Letter: Veneer of patriotism
- My view: Yes, Iran jails people for their...
- My view: Utah needs Congress to act on...
- Jay Evensen: In a smart-car future, what...
- Letter: Marijuana, an evil plant 65
- David Jensen: Humans are responsible... 52
- Jay Evensen: Utah's prosperity is... 30
- Letter: Regulating marijuana 29
- Richard Davis: Another conflict of... 23
- Dan Liljenquist: Credit Utah's Sen. Lee... 19
- Letter: Sharing the road 19
- My view: Higher ed students can better... 18