Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
I urge Gov. Gary Herbert to veto HB43. However well-intentioned it might have been, the simple fact remains that it has a chilling effect on citizens of this state to have a collective voice with a corporate sponsor that can pool the funds of those who are not wealthy and can independently lobby the Legislature. Each succeeding election shows the impact of funding on the ability to get a message or concern heard. Without the ability to have a corporate sponsor help the common man pool his money with others of similar interest, their ability to be heard is diminished. Again, please veto this bill.
- Which states are best for tax payers?
- In our opinion: Utah is not a swing state and...
- Michael Gerson: Why the theological...
- M. Zuhdi Jasser: The fifth commandment is...
- Letter: Plenty of danger in e-cigarettes
- Jay Evensen: In predicting the future, we...
- In our opinion: Western land standoff aside,...
- Letter: Right and wrong
- Letter: Right and wrong 97
- My view: Anti-science ruins the climate... 69
- Robert Bennett: Immigration reform... 64
- Letter: Science consensus is slow,... 54
- In our opinion: Confronted by power,... 40
- In our opinion: Western land standoff... 38
- John Hoffmire: Why shouldn’t... 29
- Letter: Republican empathy too rare 28