Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
I urge Gov. Gary Herbert to veto HB43. However well-intentioned it might have been, the simple fact remains that it has a chilling effect on citizens of this state to have a collective voice with a corporate sponsor that can pool the funds of those who are not wealthy and can independently lobby the Legislature. Each succeeding election shows the impact of funding on the ability to get a message or concern heard. Without the ability to have a corporate sponsor help the common man pool his money with others of similar interest, their ability to be heard is diminished. Again, please veto this bill.
- Letter: Social judges?
- Jay Evensen: Face it Salt Lake, panhandlers...
- Kathleen Parker: Baltimore riots —...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch: Misrepresentation against...
- In our opinion: Revisiting the Holocaust as...
- Navas & Archibald: Utah has already paid its...
- Letter: No cash deposits
- Dean Li: Don’t stop debating merits of...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch: Misrepresentation... 71
- John Hoffmire: The pathway to change in... 50
- In our opinion: Greece's fiscal... 34
- In our opinion: Regulatory relief,... 33
- Letter: No humane way to kill 31
- Letter: Social judges? 29
- Michael Erickson: Lincoln saved a... 27
- Dean Li: Don’t stop debating... 27