Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
I urge Gov. Gary Herbert to veto HB43. However well-intentioned it might have been, the simple fact remains that it has a chilling effect on citizens of this state to have a collective voice with a corporate sponsor that can pool the funds of those who are not wealthy and can independently lobby the Legislature. Each succeeding election shows the impact of funding on the ability to get a message or concern heard. Without the ability to have a corporate sponsor help the common man pool his money with others of similar interest, their ability to be heard is diminished. Again, please veto this bill.
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still separate...
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- Richard Davis: Don't turn A.G. into an...
- About Utah: His business is fun, games and...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks the...
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends...
- George F. Will: Why Iran should be contained
- Jenet Jacob Erickson: Understanding family...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economics lacks... 39
- In our opinion: U.S. schools still... 38
- Charles Krauthammer: The real problem... 37
- Letter: Preventative care 28
- Robert Bennett: 'Nuclear option' ends... 27
- Letter: Insurance website 21
- Letter: Buying politicians 20
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging 19