Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
I urge Gov. Gary Herbert to veto HB43. However well-intentioned it might have been, the simple fact remains that it has a chilling effect on citizens of this state to have a collective voice with a corporate sponsor that can pool the funds of those who are not wealthy and can independently lobby the Legislature. Each succeeding election shows the impact of funding on the ability to get a message or concern heard. Without the ability to have a corporate sponsor help the common man pool his money with others of similar interest, their ability to be heard is diminished. Again, please veto this bill.
- In Our Opinion: More than a holiday, Memorial...
- Your future Utah needs your input now —...
- Drew Clark: Congress should modernize highway...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Economic turmoil in...
- Letter: Special treatment
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Mediocre...
- Stuart Reid: Despite study results, religion...
- Letter: Chamber's misleading ad
- My view: Reducing benefits gradually... 36
- Letter: A constant example 18
- National debt not just financial issue... 14
- Letter: The good ones 14
- Letter: Put people in control 13
- Letter: Today's young people care about... 12
- In our opinion: Clinton Foundation's... 8
- Jay Evensen: Why would anyone fill out... 7