TRISTAN COWLES, Dixie, boys soccer: This senior keeper was instrumental in leading Dixie to a 3A state championship last season, and he's a big reason the Flyers are in the hunt again this year.
Last week, Cowles led Dixie to a pair of Region 9 victories.
He anchored the defense on Tuesday in a 3-0 victory over Canyon View, and the next day he was in goal during a 2-1 overtime win over Cedar. Through five games, Dixie sits atop the Region 9 standings with a 4-1 record.
A tough, athletic keeper who was a 3A first team all-stater last year, Cowles has already recorded four shutouts this season. Last year he finished with 12 shutouts, including a shutout in the state title game.
TAYLOR TAHBO, Lehi, softball: The only Taylor Tahbo works hard than she does on the softball field is in the classroom.
The sophomore maintains a 4.0 GPA and last week she helped the young Pioneer squad to a win over Mountain View.
"She's just, overall, a great athlete," said Lehi head softball coach Whitney Taylor. "In the outfield, she has such a strong arm, that she just makes some amazing plays. And clearly her bat speaks for itself."
Tahbo scored three runs and had two RBIs in the 10-0 win that helped Lehi improve to an 8-3 record. She hit a single, a double and home run, while anchoring the team's defense in left field. Tahbo is one of the team's talented youngsters who hope to help the Pioneers compete in a tough Region 4 race.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33