TRISTAN COWLES, Dixie, boys soccer: This senior keeper was instrumental in leading Dixie to a 3A state championship last season, and he's a big reason the Flyers are in the hunt again this year.
Last week, Cowles led Dixie to a pair of Region 9 victories.
He anchored the defense on Tuesday in a 3-0 victory over Canyon View, and the next day he was in goal during a 2-1 overtime win over Cedar. Through five games, Dixie sits atop the Region 9 standings with a 4-1 record.
A tough, athletic keeper who was a 3A first team all-stater last year, Cowles has already recorded four shutouts this season. Last year he finished with 12 shutouts, including a shutout in the state title game.
TAYLOR TAHBO, Lehi, softball: The only Taylor Tahbo works hard than she does on the softball field is in the classroom.
The sophomore maintains a 4.0 GPA and last week she helped the young Pioneer squad to a win over Mountain View.
"She's just, overall, a great athlete," said Lehi head softball coach Whitney Taylor. "In the outfield, she has such a strong arm, that she just makes some amazing plays. And clearly her bat speaks for itself."
Tahbo scored three runs and had two RBIs in the 10-0 win that helped Lehi improve to an 8-3 record. She hit a single, a double and home run, while anchoring the team's defense in left field. Tahbo is one of the team's talented youngsters who hope to help the Pioneers compete in a tough Region 4 race.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 55
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 54
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48